Special Race Proficiency Category
The Special Race Proficiency Category summarizes all the special Proficiencies that are only usable by the race which they belong to. Each of these proficiency has special rules, and more often than not are additional rules applied on the race page itself. This means that if you want to make use of these Proficiencies, make sure you've read both the race page and this informational page without just adding it to your character sheet.
Altalar Martial Skill
The Altalar Martial Skill encompasses all the Martial training the Altalar engage in when they have chosen the patron deity Tal'Sieth. This skill is unique, because it grants multiple different weapon and armor Proficiencies in one. The Altalar Martial Skill is as such a group skill, meaning that all points invested in this Proficiency give equal skill proficiency in all the weapons and shields specified, even if they defy categorization that is normally applied in other Combat related Proficiencies. The weapons included in Martial Training are: The Altalar Singing Bow, the Altalar Gallop Lance, the Altalar Glaive Sword, and the Altalar Scalay Spear as well as the Altalar Charay Shield. These weapons are specifically fine tuned for Altalar only, taking their body proportions (which are unique to them) and styles into account. Furthermore, because of the relative rarity of these weapons, they are hard to come by for non-Altalar. It is extremely important to note that these combat skills do not factor into the Regalian Guard. That is to say, if the Regalian Guard requires a minimum of Combat Proficiency Points, this Martial Skill does not factor into those points, because all of the Altalar weapons do not comply with Regalian Guard regulation equipment. These skills also do not translate into any other Combat related Proficiency.
Kathar Ritualism Skill
Kathar Ritualism is a number of effects and things Kathar are natively able to do when they understand She’llaq, the ritualistic language used in a variety of traditions. Kathar Ritualism is a unique Proficiency that only Kathar can invest points into, able to perform a number of rituals unlocked at each set of Proficiency Points invested. The progression goes as followed:
- 6 Points Invested: The character can read/write/recite She’llaq, the Kathar ritualistic Void language. This language is not an actual language that can be used to converse, but a collection of phrases and expressions without a clear distinction of nouns and verbs to form actual conversations with. Essentially, while the speaker understands what the phrase roughly does, they don’t know what the actual syllables create or where each word starts or ends. While knowing She’llaq, the character can draw up ritual citations in Void Script, as well as tatoo others with Void Script preachings.
- 12 Points Invested: The character can use Bone Singing in She’llaq which allows them to craft and mold bone of other Kathar into decorative shapes to their liking. These rituals are not entirely painless, but only work on Kathar. Additionally, they can also bone shape bone materials used to create for example furniture, decorations or defences.
- 18 Points Invested: The character can use Blood Singing in She’llaq to draw blood from another Kathar (which usually sieves through their skin like a cloud and then forms a liquid in air that can be moved around) to heal another Kathar’s wounds. Every wound requires about a pint of blood, meaning any Kathar can provide 3 heals from their blood before they become anemic and pass out and it becomes dangerous to their health. The healing power of Blood Singing allows for the mending of deep cuts and internal wounds but not cure severed limbs.
- 24 Points Invested: The character can use Blood Singing in She’llaq to draw blood from themselves and create a Blood Sung Weapon. A Blood Sung Weapon is usually a dagger, blade or spear, which then hardens into a dark-red shining weapon, with the durability of steel. The character can create 3 such weapons (each requiring a pint of their blood) before they become anemic and pass out from blood loss. These weapons melt after about a week of not being used, though if they continuously draw blood this period can be extended by a week after each blood drawing.
- 30 Points Invested: The character doesn’t need to wait for an Arken or Void or Exist Herald to appear, and can directly communicate with an Arken through the burning of She’llaq ritual papers drawn up from the blood of a Silven. These messages are guaranteed to be heard, and will most of the times receive a response. Furthermore, the ritualist may also perform the Dread Corruption ritual as described on the Demonic Possession page to turn Altalar, Avanthar and Isldar into Kathar and subject them to their world-view and goals.
Cielothar Ritualism Skill
Cielothar Ritualism is a number of practices Cielothar are natively able to do when they understand Olt’vven, the ritualistic language used in a variety of traditions. Cielothar Ritualism is a unique Proficiency that only Cielothar can invest points into, able to perform a number of rituals unlocked at each set of Proficiency Points invested (though Kathar Ritualism Points for Lightburned Kathar are converted to Cielothar Ritualism, and they are the only non-Cielothar who can use this skill). The progression goes as followed:
- 6 Points Invested: The character can read/write/recite Olt’vven, the Cielothar ritualistic Estel language. This language is not an actual language that can be used to converse, but a collection of phrases and expressions without a clear distinction of nouns and verbs to form actual conversations with. Essentially, while the speaker understands what the phrase roughly does, they don’t know what the actual syllables create or where each word starts or ends. While knowing Olt’vven, the character can draw up ritual citations in Estel Script, as well as tatoo others with Estel Script preachings. If at any point they had Void Script tattoos, all the symbols change to Estel Script symbols when they become lightburned or converted back to non-Kathar.
- 12 Points Invested: The character can use stone-singing to fuse precious gems and crystals with the bodies of others (or themselves) as well as swirls of luminescent silver tattoos. These precious gems are painlessly merged with the body on whatever location they choose, and they can also re-shape these gems and crystals into whatever shape they like (respecting the original quantity of the substance though, not expanding or shrinking it). These gems when set do not cause someone to have more protective skin, it does not grant any combat advantages, the grafting is purely aesthetic.
- 18 Points Invested: The character can use Blood Singing in Olt’vven to draw blood from themselves (which usually sieves through their skin like a cloud and then forms a liquid in air that can be moved around) to protect another person with a Blood Ward. Every ward requires about a pint of blood, meaning any Cielothar can provide 3 wards from their blood before they become anemic and pass out and it becomes dangerous to their health. Wards appear like crystalline shards of hardened blood floating around a person until they are attacked. Whatever direction or the strength of the attack, the blood ward will intercept it and nullify it (be it physical or magical) after which it breaks and disappears.
- 24 Points Invested: The character can use Light Singing in Olt’vven to create armor out of light. A Light Sung Armor is usually a chest piece, set of shoulder pauldrons or arm guards, which then hardens into a silver-blue shining armor, with the durability of Steel. These armor can be wielded by anyone (and must be cast onto their body). This armor lasts for up to an hour (or until the wielder passes out). While wearing this armor without being attacked does not cost anything, each hit absorbed by the armor causes wear and fatigue on the wearer (essentially blocking hits at the cost of stamina). After three successful hits striking the armor, the armor fades away and the wielder almost buckles from exhaustion.
- 30 Points Invested: The character doesn’t need to wait for an Arken or Void or Exist Herald to appear, and can directly communicate with an Arken through the burning of Olt’vven ritual papers drawn up from the blood of a Silven. These messages are guaranteed to be heard, and will most of the times receive a response. Furthermore, the ritualist may also perform the Estel Cleansing ritual as described on the Demonic Possession page to turn Altalar, Avanthar and Isldar who were turned into Kathar back into their natural state and clear their mind of any Kathar world-view controls.
Unionist Sanktism Skill
Unionist Sanktism Skill is a Proficiency in Unionist Sanctified Rituals otherwise referred to as the Holy Words. Holy Words are acts or rituals used to instill holy power or cleansing onto individuals. Unionism Sanktism Skill is not specifically a race locked Proficiency (despite it being in this category), but does require a specific learning path. Unionist Sanktism Skill can only be learned by Unionist Reverends, or those who have learned it directly from an Ailor Unionist Reverend in their character's backstory (this may be learned from an NPC Reverend). The progression of skills is as followed:
- 6 Points Invested: The Character can write in Sanktist script and warding, which are purely aesthetic at this point. They are able to graft (a form of tattooing) these holy scriptures onto a person, or write them in a book, or carve them in wood or stone. When Sanktist Ritualism of any kind is performed near Sanktist Script, it lights up with a light yellow glow. For example, a ritualist using Holy Word: Protection or Holy Word: Purity who also has Sanktist script as tattoos on their body, will see these tattoos light up with a light golden/yellow glow. Additionally, those with 6 points in Sanktism can perform the Sanktist gesture with their hands which causes any Sanktist tattoos within a 30 feet radius to shine as if a ritual is being performed nearby.
- 12 Points Invested: The Character can bless any liquid by speaking the Sanktist prayer of the Holy Word: Blessing, and then dipping their fingers into the liquid. When this ritual is performed, the liquid in which they dipped their fingers immediately turns to Holy Water (though the liquid must be contained in a bottle-sized quantity, otherwise the amount of liquid will disperse and dilute the blessed liquid portion.
- 18 Points Invested: The Character can ward another person with the Holy Word: Loyalty ward, a Sanktist protection spell from evil. The person speaks the Sanktist prayer of protection, after which they apply their hand to the other person's forehead. When complete, the person who the ritual is performed on will have a yellow glowing band mark (like a regal band) spanning across their forehead, with a small Unionist eye in the middle, accompanied with radiant symbols of sunrays. This ward is active for up to 5 days and protects the person against any form of possession, mind control spells or abilities, Vampirism infection or any other kind of Affliction. Only two individuals may ever be protected with this ward at any given time, and in order to bless another person, the ritualist must break the ward on an existing one or let it expire.
- 24 Points Invested: The Character can use the Holy Word: Purify, which is also more commonly referred to as the Exorcism Ritual. The Exorcism Ritual is a special process used to drive a Demonic Possession from a person. It is performed over the course of an evening or night, in which the Sanktist wards a room with Holy Words and then speaks the verses of Purification for hours on end, a process that is very painful for the possessed individual. If the ritual is performed without interruption, the person is cleansed by daybreak.
- 30 Points Invested: The Character gains the passive Holy Word: Protection blessing, which is an ability to create holy weapons while wielded by the ritualist. Weapons wielded by the character with 30 points in Unionist Ritualism can turn any weapon they wield (for the duration that they wield it, meaning if they let go of it, it stops being holy) into a holy weapon. They do this by striking their hand against the weapon (sometimes referred to as clapping or slapping) which causes an audible and echoing clang noise, along with sparks as if striking a hot piece of metal with a hammer. The weapon then begins to light up with a golden yellow hue, and a light golden smoke rises from the weapon that dances gently in the air in the trajectory of the weapon. Holy Word: Protection blessed weapons (when wielded by the ritualist) ignore all mutation and ability based damage mitigation of those who are impure (for example the Possessed, Vampires, Mages, Abberrants etc.) and treats all of them like normal bare flesh. Additionally, cuts and stabs of holy weapons cause a burning sensation beyond the normal pain caused from the wound.
Unionist Calhad Skill
Unionist Calhad Skill is not specifically really a Proficiency skill in and of itself, but more of an indicator of how long someone has been a Calhad Gladiator. Unionist Calhad Skill covers a "basic usage" skill on all weapons which could viably be used in the Arena of Calhad, while also giving the character training in the necessary techniques and rituals used in the Arena of Calhad. Unionist Calhad Skill translates heavily in the victory rolls in gladiatorial combat in the Arena of Calhad.