A wet pancake with drizzled sugar syrup.|
- 1 cup of flour
- 1½ cups of milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp of warm butter
- 1 Tbsp of buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp of sugar
- 2 Tsp of salt
- Sugar drizzle on top
Svele is a pancake-like treat known for being moist on the inside and is often topped with sugar syrup to give it an extra tasty kick. It has a few possible points of origin and recently has begun to spread beyond the borders of the Velheim areas of northern Aloria and the northern regions of the Regalian Archipelago. If it is left for too long, however, it will rapidly harden, thus eliminating the light texture the treat is known for.
Svele has a long history and one closely associated with its sister pastry, Lefse. The traditional origin for Svele is said to have begun with the Hedrylli Empire. Raiding near and far throughout the 100 years up until the Cataclysm, their introduction to sugar after reaching areas of Ithania allowed them to create the pancake, still found in Aloria today, before later diversifying into the Lefse and Svele. However, Imperial and Elven scholars tie the two baked goods back to the Elven Empire. The slaves kept by the Empire were fed a variety of inexpensive or easy-to-make foods, one of which was a large flat pastry cut into slices for the slaves to eat. While eventually this went out of style as an “excessive luxury”, these scholars claim the Velheim got it from fleeing slaves and adopted it for themselves. Whatever the true origin, Svele and Lefse were ultimately first recorded for certain by kingdoms in the Regalian Archipelago interacting with Velheim traders. Due to the subsequent Skagger Wars, Svele never caught on anywhere outside of the Velheim north of the Regalian Archipelago and other Velheim areas of Aloria. Within the past few years however, Svele has begun to make its way to Gallovia and Anglia where it is eaten as a commoner treat while the Velheim people consider it a general treat for people of all classes most commonly eaten at feasts or major events. Unfortunately, the Burning of the North put a dent in its popularity but only time will tell how long people can keep their hands off the sweet and simple treat.
To make Svele, first the dry ingredients of salt, sugar, flour as well as the warm butter need to be added together into a bowl and stirred together well. Afterward, the wet ingredients of buttermilk, milk and eggs need to be added to the dry ingredients. The whole mixture should then be mixed well to remove all clumps before it can be poured in portions onto a pan and flipped to cook both sides. Once both sides are brown, it is removed from the pan and the sugar syrup is added along the top of the pastry. It must be served when hot before time hardens the inside of the Svele.
- The dish looks like the average pancake though if observed long enough, might be seen slowly expanding outward at the edges, gradually cracking or stretching its cooked surfaces. It is moist inside, with a smooth texture and a pale beige or pale brown color on the surface while the inside is always beige.
- Svele smells just like a pancake, with a sweet scent granted the longer the sugar syrup gets to sit on top and slowly soak into the inside of the pastry.
- Svele tastes similar to a pancake, though is generally sweeter and dissolves much faster in the mouth.
- Svele often comes apart in the hands of children, making a mess.
- The normal pancake is not eaten in Velheim territory anymore, having been effectively usurped from the dining table by Svele and Lefse.
HydraLana on 05/13/2018.|
» Read more