Vampiric bloodlines join those infected with the Sanguine Curse by with what could be considered familial bonds to some. Bloodlines are the lines of which one can trace back to the creator or individual head of the bloodline, similar to a family tree. When a vampire changes another, the new vampire takes on the traits of the person who began the bloodline. Many bloodlines stem from the moment upyrism changed to vampirism. When upyrs left and right began changing to vampires, various things, such as their original genetic traits and geographical location, factored into which bloodline they began. Typically, unique bloodlines are most likely to develop in a certain region, though over time, many have spread all about Aloria. In this day, more traditional families, often those in wealth or coven, hold strong sentimental attachment and pride to their predecessors’ legacies. Vampire families are generally in heavy association with each other - a sort of close-knit community in which they keep track of feuds, killings, and inter family marriages.
A few bloodlines stem from similar origins, and will tend to have similar characteristics to them. For example, although those in the archaic Zingaro Bloodline are predominantly short, they hold a rather similar facial structure to both the Te’Suek and the Voldesang. They also, like the Otryyg, develop more hair and a light muscular build. To further divulge into this elaboration, the Otryyg and Fahlein are shockingly similar in hair and skin colouration, and it is popular theory that the Fahlein are in fact a vast dilution of the Otryyg we see today, or stem directly from the same predecessor.
Bloodlines branch off and evolve through natural selection and simple evolution. Geographical environment and diet can, within the span of a few decades, change one group of vampires into an entirely different bloodline. Bloodlines do not evolve and become new bloodlines by mixture of lines. In fact, mixing bloodlines is a very dangerous act for the victim. Instead, the bloodlines simply develop due to environment.
Mixing bloodlines tends to have very anomalous and dangerous effects for the victim of mixed blood. Often, the two bloodlines will end up ‘fighting’ with one another to take control of the vampire’s body, and frightening or ridiculous results could occur from this. Discolored eyes or disproportionate facial features is an excellent example of this. Skin pigment can become blotchy, differed finger lengths can occur simultaneously on the same hand, a nose can be short and stubby on one side, only to stretch and point dramatically on another, limbs can become shorter or larger than the opposite, and even entire senses can be destroyed in the process. Furthermore, as one side may begin to recede or flourish, this means the twisted features and mutations of the mixed vampire may continue to change, either at slow, fast, or varying paces. These changes can eventually stop over time, or they can continue until the vampire simply gives up and dies.
At first, mixing bloodlines is an incredibly painful experience. It is as if the pain of the initial infection continues to linger even after the vampire has fully transformed. While this pain may quell in time, or a vampire can become desensitized to it, it does have the capability to return and fade. The pain of mixed bloodlines, as well as the changes it can produce, are vastly unpredictable. Imagine the two bloodlines like oil and water - wherein they simply do not mix, instead swirling and fighting within the body, and destroying the vampire’s body and mind in the process. Most vampires do not live more than a year with a mixed bloodline, and most vampires cannot ease the physical or mental defects by curing. This means a vampire with mixed bloodlines who cures themselves will continue to have deformities long after they’ve rid themselves of the curse. Mixing bloodlines affects a person for the rest of their life.
It is strongly discouraged and frowned upon to mix bloodlines. However, many have been known to ‘sample’ different bloodlines by infecting themselves with one, curing themselves, and becoming infected with another. This may still cause painful changes - especially if they’re vastly different from the changes the previous bloodline caused. It may also leave a body weakened and prone to illness or death because of the dramatic changes occurring. However, since curing completely cleanses the blood of infection, it will not put a person at risk of mixed bloodlines if they cured before having a different line.
The Dopple Effect
The Dopple Effect is no doubt the most fascinating aspect to vampirism. It, in short, is the notion that all vampires turned, grow to inherit the predominant physical features or aspects of their creator via the genetic alterations the body undergoes to become a vampire. If we look at it this way; To become a vampire, one must drink their creators blood, and the blood, filled with the genetic print of that vampire, then changes the body in image of both the sanguine curse, and the underlying makeup of the creator it is laced with.
Physical changes are always relative to the original, uninfected physical body. This means if a very tall person became infected with a bloodline that would make them short, they may still appear taller than most others in their bloodline. If a very thin person became infected with a bloodline that gave more girth, while they’ll be thicker, they may still be relatively thin compared to others in the bloodline.
The Dopple Effect was first explained and experimented on by Uro Okuta while creating the Voldesang gene alongside Wutienda, the vice demon of Malice and original creator of vampirism. Okuta then wrote documents that were further expanded upon by Nolic Eurdd as well as other well known Redwoods within The Order, after Okuta’s untimely death.
An Archaic bloodline is the direct bloodline of the original Order’s senate, which consisted of nine seats, but eleven individuals. It was established as a form of hierarchy amidst those of vampire kin, acknowledging that its passage would be onto those of incredibly high worth in terms of intelligence and usefulness to what The Order understood as their cause. In short, it is a noble vampire bloodline. It did not directly offer power or importance over kin, as it was very rarely given to those suspected of egotistical intent who would use it for selfish fame or petty power, but more so it enticed heavy respect from all pledged to The Orders cause.
In the year 189 AC. The Order originally passed a law, deeming that only via ceremony held by the current head of senate, was one to be deemed Archaic, even if the classic bloodline was already held. This means that while some bloodlines may have been as old as archaic bloodlines, the only ones considered Archaic are those who are deemed so via ceremony. This was to prevent the destruction of the concept by means of the Te'Suek bloodline, after Uro Okuta’s son, Miakel, rebelled against The Orders terms of nobility, spread his bloodline to hundreds - perhaps thousands - of others, and effectively started their first civil war. See also Civil War on Blasphemy.
This however, can be disregarded in modern day Aloria, as those gifted archaic bloodlines are selected carefully and monitored closely amidst their kin, having learned from Uro Okuta's mistake. It has developed into a common tradition and means of celebration, a way of welcoming lucky new members to their privileged ranks
Great Vampiric Convergence
In the beginning of the year 302 AC, Wutienda, the vice demon of Malice, had finally harnessed the power to do something that would, once more, change the Sanguine Curse all across Aloria. With the use of blood magic and the careful sampling of a variety of races, the demon was able to allow vampirism to spread among a plethora of other races on Aloria. Each strain of the Sanguine Curse began in different parts of the world, and each one in a different race. As a result, while no distinct cultures of vampires for other races have developed, and while no cures were apparent at first, every (playable) race on Aloria became susceptible to the Sanguine Curse. The knowledge of this came sooner to some and later to others, but is typically depicted as the Great Vampiric Convergence by scholars. Only now is public knowledge of many races being capable of infection leading into populated areas, and even then, very few can explain exactly how this happened. Only those close to Wutienda at the time will know of her hand in this - if they're still alive.
- Dreygur Bloodline: The Dreygur were originally created when the blood mages of the Otrygg order mixed in Ogre and Troll blood with some of their lower ranking members, and infused the rituals with demonic energies. The results were quite violent in the earlier iterations, resulting in violent mindless half ogre half vampire mixtures. The Demonic energies catalyzed the foreign blood to cause a whole range of rapid physical deformations.
- Fahlein Bloodline: This alteration of the Sanguine Curse came to light when Uro Okuta, co-founder of the Order, first attempted to create the "perfect" vampire. The Fahlein are a vastly common, Elladorian bloodline. To put it into perspective, they arguably make up a third of the current vampiric population; many taking residence within undiscovered locations in Regalian sewers, or in the snowy mountain ranges of Ellador. They are incredibly weak and highly mentally unstable.
- Chyga Bloodline: The Chyga bloodline (pronounced “Ch-hae-gah”) was created in 180 AC, when Kaunka Chyga - a member of The Order’s senate, began drinking a large amount of Naga blood. After infecting his wife, a new strain of vampirism was created. Due to their unnatural creation they were exiled from The Order and cursed with forked Naga tongues. Ever since, they have taken to a nomadic lifestyle, constantly travelling and never staying in one place for long.
- Voldesang Bloodline: The Voldesang is a very isolated Ithanian bloodline that was purposefully created by The Order’s co-founder, Uro Okuta with help of Wutienda, The vice demon of Malice. They were created with intentions of designing very unorthodox, however unusually attractive physical traits. Their purpose was a mindful position to The Order’s cause, of which they were falsified to be a single creature of deity called Count Bollo De Voldesang.
- Maleir Bloodline (Qadir): The Maleir were created upon the Great Vampiric Convergence. The Vice Demon Malice, Wutienda, mixed Qadir blood with the Sanguine Curse and the essence of the Sadeir. This resulted in a vampirism similar form of the Sanguine Curse for the Qadir, turning their skin dark gray and their eyes and hair fire red.
- Kydaer Bloodline (Elf): In the Great Vampiric Convergence, Wutienda used the blood of Shendar and Drowdar, which was already saturated with demonic energies and magics, to create a new strand of the Sanguine Curse, specifically tailored to infect the Elves. No one is quite sure which subrace of Elves were infected first, but the Shendar believe they were chosen first, and no other subrace is looking to take that title away from them.
- Irontooth Bloodline (Dwarf): The Irontooth Bloodline is the only Vampiric bloodline within the Dwarven race. The Irontooth bloodline came into existence shortly after the Great Vampiric Convergence. The result became something that isn't really Vampiric anymore, however it is still referred to as Vampirism due to the fact that it comes from the same strain of Vampirism.
- In 174 AC, The Order passed a law declaring punishment may be placed upon a vampire by feeding them a mixture of bloodlines to distort and deform their features - making them a mockery to both human and the vampire cultures. To this day, many vampiric covens and families hold this punishment over the heads of others to instill a sense of obedient fear in them.