Regalian Law is a set of so-called Law Books with a penal code designed to keep the Regalian public in line, both within the confines of a peaceful and stable society, but also for a clean and pious mind. These Laws don't always have a strict outcome punishment, and punishments may vary between Guards and Organizations in Regalia. Furthermore, most of these laws are changeable by the respective authorities.
Citizen Rights dictate the individual rights per race. While Race Rights are different for each Race, they can usually be categorized: First Rank Citizens have all rights bestowed to them, Second Rank Citizens have usually one or two rights revoked, while Third Rank Citizens have considerable rights revoked from them. Each right revoked is mentioned below.
First Rank Citizen
- Ailor, Half-Ailor, Sihai, Allar, Dwarves, Qadir, Eronidas, Songaskians, Altalar, Cielothar, Asha, Yanar, Avanthar, Isldar are First Rank Citizens. Any other Half-Races that are not half-Ailor (as long as one parent is Second or Third Rank), apply to those Citizen classifications, if they are Half-Ailor, they always apply to First Rank, even if their other parent is Third Rank.
Second Rank Citizen
- Sihndar have the following rights revoked:
- Performing the Northern Taint on any person without permit, is illegal.
- Url have the following rights revoked:
- Performing Symbiosis of any kind on any person without permit, is illegal.
- Manathar have the following rights revoked:
- Performing Manathar Communion on any person without permit, is illegal.
- Maraya have the following rights revoked:
- Contact without State supervision of the Maraya Home Swarm, is illegal.
Third Rank Citizen
- Slizzar have the following rights revoked:
- Slizzar do not have the right to Court procedure and have a presumption of guilt.
- Slizzar are not permitted to hold State Office, or be a member of the Regalian Military.
- Slizzar are not permitted to serve in the Imperial Family’s Household.
- Slizzar do not have the right to marry or reproduce with Unionist Ailor.
- Kathar have the following rights revoked:
- Kathar do not have the right to Court procedure and have a presumption of guilt.
- Kathar are not permitted to hold State Office, or be a member of the Regalian Military.
- Kathar are not permitted to serve in the Imperial Family’s Household.
- Kathar do not have the right to marry or reproduce with Unionist Ailor.
State laws are active in all lands controlled by the Regalian Empire, unless local legislation contradicts them. These laws can be freely changed by the Assembly and Chancellor.
Regalian Petty Law
Regalian Petty Laws require no Court intervention, and can usually be punished with a fine, public humiliation, or very short prison sentence, or community service. No records are made for violations of Petty Law of any kind, however it may be included in bigger violations on the same report.
- Bearing false witness, or resisting arrest, or hindering a Guard investigation is illegal.
- Bearing weapons or armor outside of permit clearance is illegal.
- Vigilantism without the proper permit or clearance, is illegal.
- Trespassing on any private property or residence is illegal.
- Mugging or stealing or cheating at games or property destruction, is illegal.
- Adultery and conceiving out of wedlock is illegal without legal consent forms.
- To insult another person without established truth to accusation, is illegal.
- For a family member to resist the will of their family head, is illegal.
Regalian Low Law
Regalian Low Laws require no Court intervention, and can be punished with prison sentencing and/or public humiliation. Simple recordings such as Name, Crime, and Punishment given are recorded, nothing more.
- Inflicting harm against another or one’s unless self-defense demands itself is illegal.
- To abduct or imprison or enslave another without legal permit is illegal.
- Possession or use of Contraband and Illegal Items is illegal.
- Non-consented Marriage or failing to provide for one’s spouse, is illegal.
- Subjecting another Unwilling to Mutations or Magic induced aesthetic-only changes is illegal.
- Using Aberrant Powers outside the home without permission is illegal.
- To create, recruit, be a member of, or cooperate with Crime Groups, is illegal.
- To sabotage, undermine, or be negligent in State Official Duty, is illegal.
- To falsify evidence, seals, stamps or other approval, is illegal.
- It is illegal to infect anyone with any form of Occultism or Aberrancy.
- It is illegal to be infected with any Non-Legal Code Approved Occultism or Aberrancy.
- To repeatedly avoid paying one's legal taxes to the Regalian Crown, State, or Military, is illegal.
Regalian High Law
Regalian High Law usually requires the Lord Commander or Court to get involved with sentencing. Punishments tend to be severe imprisonment and maiming. Data recording includes Name, Crime, and Punishment, as well as a more detailed report of the incident.
- To violate the purity of, or indecently disrobe another, is illegal.
- To attempt to break out of prison, or liberate another prisoner, is illegal
- To rob or attempt to rob the life of another person, whether born or unborn, is illegal.
- Vast or major destruction of property or vandalism (such as arson), is illegal.
Regalian Capital Law
Regalian Capital Law must require a Lord Commander and Chancellor approval for the final verdict, but will always include at the very least a maim, leading up to execution. Every worthwhile detail involving the crime, leading up to, and including the aftermath, is recorded in an extensive report.
- To perform active rebellion against the Regalian state or harbor Jacobinism, is illegal
- To conspire to harm the Emperor or Chancellor or Assembly, is illegal.
- To conspire to usurp or harm the state through military means, is illegal.
- To commit mass-murder or cause mass-death intentional or not, is illegal.
- To assist foreign entities in their harmful intent towards Regalia, is illegal.
Imperial Crown Law
Imperial Crown Law cannot be changed by the Chancellor or Assembly, and is prosecuted by the Imperial Inquestors. State Guards should still arrest, but deliver the criminal to an Imperial Guard. Crown Law violations can lead up to execution. Every worthwhile detail involving the crime, leading up to, and including the aftermath, is recorded in an extensive report.
- The Imperial Guard are immune to State Law, and owe authority only to Imperial Royal Blood.
- To spill blood on Holy Ground such as Cathedrals, Churches and Palaces, is illegal.
- To denounce the Emperor’s Authority over all the world, is illegal.
- Marriage between two title holding families must be brokered by the Emperor.
- The Assembly and Chancellor each represent the Emperor in authority and duty.
- The Chancellor has a Veto right against any Assembly proposal, except impeachment.
- Impeachment proceedings count for 60%+1 of the present voters or representatives.
- Other legislation may pass with 50%+1 of the present voters or representatives.
- Two Noble Houses may call for an Assembly at any time, with Chancellor presence.
- An Assembly may not proceed without a present Chancellor, except for Impeachment.
- Indecency or undue disturbance during an Assembly is considered an insult to the Crown.
- It is illegal for City Guards to enter a Noble Estate without a permit from the Emperor.
- Contracts between Noble Families with Imperial Assent are enforced by the State.
- To refuse or forget to adhere the "Respects to Imperalism" Legal Code, is illegal.
Regalian Knight Laws
Knights operate somewhat differently than regular citizens, and as such have certain rights that transcend laws in Regalian State Law. Assume that if a Knight Law contradicts State Law, that Knight Law is always superior. Knight Law can only be changed by the Emperor.
- Any and all Knights are permitted to bear any armor, as long as Order identity is visible.
- Any and all Knights are permitted public open carry of weapons, but must conceal indoors.
- Any and all Knights may engage in Honor Duels with harm in designated arenas.
- Knights with Imperial Respect are permitted to enter the Imperial Palace (without armaments) and other noble-exclusive areas, and cannot be expelled by Imperial Court Officials for being non-noble.
- Only Knights with Imperial Respect may enforce the Code of Honor on their fellow members.
- Only Knights with Imperial Respect must be called Ser if male, or Dame if female.
- Any citizen with knowledge of a Knight violating their Code, must report this to the Chancellor.
Empire wide Ordinances
Empire Wide Ordinances are adopted by the Assembly or Chancellor that do not directly affect the main city, but are still relevant to know for politics. These are generally considered indefinite, and revoking Ordinances is considered not kosher, but legal for the Chancellor only.
- All lands with a majority Altalar, and with all parties consenting, may enforce the Altalar Judicial system instead of the Regalian Judicial system.
- All airships under the direct supervision of Duke Ryker Lampero of Vultaro-Montania has free access to all airspace above all regalian Archipelago states and sovereignties.
- Ownership of Puretek Weapons without a permit from any Belliard Representative (Dietrich von Drachenburg in Regalia) will result in jail time, and weapon confiscation.
- Magical Mutations and Magic assisted aesthetic-only changes may be applied in Government approved Shops and Businesses only, managed by the Arcane Ministry.
List of Contraband and Illegal Items
- Any Artifact that is identified as originating from the Void Occult is contraband.
- Any Artifact identified as a Draconic Soul-Core active or inactive is contraband.
- Narcotics not stamped and shipped by the Anahera Cabal is contraband.
- Siege weapons and Gunpowder not stamped and shipped by Howlester Trade is contraband.
- Grains of any kind not stamped and shipped by the Kade house of Trade is contraband.
- Muskete weaponry not produced and granted by the Belliard Guild is contraband.
Legal Codes are lengthier pieces of legislation that cannot be easily summarized into a bullet pointed law book, and as such must be written out in full. They usually concern one particular topic, and explain that topic expansively. Legal Codes are usually also expansions upon State Law, to add more context to them or to expand their scope into more detail.
Respects to Imperialism
Respects to Imperialism dictates the interactions between non-Nobles and Nobles, particularly when non-Nobles address Nobles in conversation. Respects to Imperialism is active in the streets of the Empire, public establishments and stores, government offices and institutions, and public events at private properties, but not private occasions at private properties. Respects to Imperialism dictates that "So long as an individual knows a Noble by first or last name, they must use honorifics such as your grace for a Duke, or your lordship for an untitled Nobleman. Referring to a Noble by first or last name without title prefix or suffix is a Crown Law Crime". The Legal Code presumes that so long as the person knows the first or last name of a Nobleman, they also know their rank, so it is impossible to plead ignorance. Ignorance only applies if the subject truly did not know the first or last name of the Nobleman they were addressing. If a commoner is too ignorant or lacking in wit to remember titles, the honorific "Honourable Master/Mistress" may be used as a replacement, so as to say "Forgive me my lord/lady, I am too foolish to remember your title". For example, "Honourable Master Kade" is an adequate honorific to use.
Legally Approved Occultism
Regalian Weapon and Armor Permits
It is illegal for any person in Regalia to wear any armor that is not purely decorative (armor that covers less than 25% of the body is considered decorative) without the necessary permits. Armor permits cannot be granted. Armor may only be worn by institutions that have the right to bear armor, such as the Regalian Mercenary Order, The Regalian Guard Order, Regalian Noble House Guards and Imperial Guards. Furthermore, it is illegal for any person in Regalia who does not have a weapon permit to bear a weapon other than a Rechtshelm. A Rechtshelm is a thin blade, with a maximum of 12 inches by the hilt that must be concealed at all times. Weapon permits, unlike armor permits however, can be granted. After a permit is granted, public open carry is permitted. Orders and Institutions that were granted the right to bear arms may use any weapon in public open carry also. No weapons or armor may be brought into Imperial Property, or Churches and Cathedrals, or the Regalian Judicial Office, however. Titleholders have automatic armor and weapon permits. All other permits must be registered and maintained by the State’s Armament Commissioner.
- The Armament Commissioner is appointed by the State Chancellor.
Occult Power Legislation and Usage
Occult or Aberrant Powers may only be used in the confines of one’s home. That being said, any owner or patriarch or matriarch of an establishment or building or estate may extend permission to use Occult Powers within those buildings. This includes any gardens or courtyards on the premises. Furthermore, Occult Powers as long as they do not inflict undue harm, may be used to aid in Law Enforcement. Finally, officially registered White Occult (or Court Mages, as Court Mages automatically become White Occult without registration, of which 2 per Title holding Family may exist), are permitted to use their Occult Power as defined in their registration. Court Mages may always use their Powers, as misuse responsibility falls onto the Noble Family, and they are expected to set boundaries for the Court Mages. All Court Mages and White Mages must be registered (or in the case of White Mages) submit for processing through the State’s Occult Commissioner.
- The Occult Commissioner is appointed by the State Chancellor.
Noble Houseguard and Servants
Noble House Guards and Servants of any kind may wear any type of armor and weapon with public open carry. They must however clearly distinguish themselves as a House Servant, and they may not wear these while not on active duty with any member of the Family they serve. Additionally, House Servants may never draw weapons first, and must only act in a defensive or protective capacity. Any person involved in a crime against their Family must be transferred to the Regalian Guard, but may be kept for questioning for up to 48 hours inside the Family’s Estate if it is in the possession of adequate detainment. House Servants do not need to be registered, but official House Guards must always be registered with the State’s Lifeguard Commissioner.
- The Lifeguard Commissioner is appointed by the State Chancellor.
Mercenary Rights and Laws
Mercenaries may wear up to half plate without a helmet, and may open carry any weapon, but only while actively fulfilling a contract. Mercenaries must adhere to all Regalian Law where applicable, and must step aside if Regalian Guards usurp the situation they are in. Mercenaries must obey commands given by the Regalian Guard Lord Commander, as well as the Chancellor. Mercenaries must at all times work towards legally sanctioned contracts, either sent by the Nobility or the Chancellor or Assembly or Emperor. If a Contract is illegal, the Mercenary shall hold no blame for enforcing it, and instead, the Contract maker will be found guilty of all Laws violated by the Mercenaries. While on Contract, a mercenary or their contractor may keep the guilty party on their premise or at the Mercenary Keep for up to 48 hours as long as they have capable detainment rooms for questioning and beating, before they must be handed over to the City Guard. All Mercenaries must always be registered with the State’s Mercenary Commissioner.
- The Mercenary Commissioner is appointed by the State Chancellor.
Blueblood Court Privilege
Nobles and Titleholders in particular have certain rights bestowed on them for being the better class of people by the Emperor. These may only be changed by the Emperor. Crimes against all Nobles warrant higher sentences, and if a Noble is found guilty of a crime, they are expected to be treated fairly, well, and without much public display if it can be avoided so as to avoid embarrassment. Nobility are always immune to checkpoint restrictions, and may not be hindered from visiting prisoners, unless they are in the maximum security section of the Prison, or solitary isolation. Nobility may strike, or order the striking of another person for any words that caused offence against them. When visiting establishments and public places of service, nobles are expected to be given preferential treatment and with respect. All Nobles also have the right to command City Guards to protect them, an event, or enforce the Law as they see fit. That being said, violation of State Law, or incorrect enforcement of State Law falls upon the Noble in question. Furthermore, City Guards are expected to turn a blind eye to Nobility committing crimes under Petty Law, unless these crimes become recurring and dangerous to the people or the reputation of the Noble Family. Finally, Nobles are immune to City-wide curfew, but must contract a City Guard to escort them while they roam the streets during a curfew. Violations of Blueblood Court Privilege must be reported to the Regalian Guard’s City Reeve’s Office.
- The Reeve's Office is appointed by the Emperor with additional clerks appointed by the Chancellor.
Blueblood Court Honneurs
The Nobility are expected to behave a certain way, and enforcing this code of behavior is up to the Master of Conduces of the Imperial Court. It is primarily a duty of the Nobility to always refer to each other with the correct title, even when one is lower, or when one wishes to insult. A good way to provide insult, is to add unnecessary adjectives or expletives to the title address. Commoners do not have a duty to use proper address, but can be found guilty of insult law when they do not at least try. The Imperial Family and other Royal Blood are immune from having to use the correct title address. With regards to Physical honneurs, it is forbidden for a man to touch bare skin of a woman that is not his wife, except through a linen glove. Offenders may be struck by the Master of Conduces with an 18 inch horse riding crop whip, on the offending body part. Within Nobility (if it does not already concern Knights) nobility may not inflict violence on each other with punishment of horse riding crop whip striking the offending part by the Master of Conduces. The Master of Conduces may however approve a non-lethal duel between Nobility at designated arenas. Nobility may also not engage in employment that is otherwise for commoners, such as tending bars, tending livestock, or manning a stall. Exceptions are made for businesses that handle high value items exceeding 5,000 Regals in price, and establishments with high-society relevance, such as noble-only tea houses. Offenders may be struck with a 18 inch horse riding crop whip by the Master of Condeuces until they cease. In any and all cases, Honneurs may only be changed by the Emperor, and may only be enforced by the Master of Condeuces of the Imperial Court. Abuse of power on the part of the Master of Condeuces must be reported to the Master of Letters, to communicate to the Emperor.
- The Master of Condeuces is appointed by the Court's Master of Ceremonies.
Military Court Privilege
The Military Court is designated as the Military Generals, Admirals, and Marshals. Any subject to them are state Soldiers, Sailors, Commanders, or any other private contractor involved in war on third parties in the name of Regalia. Disobeying the hierarchy is strictly illegal. Soldiers must always be treated with preference (though lower than Nobility) while at public establishments or services. Insulting the performance of other Military Court members, without being a Military Court member, is illegal, and any publications to that effect must be confiscated. Reporting on failure or setbacks at the military front, is illegal. It is forbidden to wear outfits of, or pretend membership of, the military without the necessary permits or permissions. Any and all individuals violating Court Privilege are subject to Court Martial, regardless of whether they are civilian or military, with the Emperor of Imperial Court Marshal choosing two Generals or Admirals to act as presiding judges, who must rule unanimously. Punishments may include short prison sentences or public humiliation or ban from the military, with only simple Name, Crime, Punishment records held by the Military Commissioner. The State’s Military Commissioner is also responsible for receiving reports of Court Privilege violations and initiating the process of Court Martial through the relevant authorities.
- The Military Commissioner is appointed by the Imperial Court Marshal.
Alms Ministry Privilige
The Alms Ministry is a permanent Ministry with a Minister appointed by the Chancellor, that oversees the City Sanctity. The Alms Ministry maintains two separate headquarters, the Alms Garrison, and the Alms Sanctuary. The Alms Sanctuary has the right of Sanctuary. This means that any person who arrives in the Alms Sanctuary and asks for Sanctuary from the Alms Ministry, may remain within the Alms Sanctuary, immune from Guard Arrest, or any Family legal Authority demanding their return, without the express approval from the Alms Minister. Additionally, the Alms Ministry has, permitting budget allocations by the Finance Minister, the right to charter any street to construct a Safety Bunker for use during city-wide calamities, without approval from the State Government. Finally, the Alms Ministry may maintain its own armed forces with rights to bear arms and armor, independent from the Guard or Mercenary forces, for the protection of Alms properties.
- The Alms Minister is appointed by the Lord Chancellor.
Crookback Law is a unique set of bylaws and legislation which applies only to the Regalian Undercity, a term which applies to the Regalian Sewers, the Crookback Bay, and the New Crookback District. These areas of the Regalian Crown Isle are not subject to Regalian Law, meaning that any crimes that are committed in the Undercity are subject to Crookback Law, and Crookback Law only. Crookback Law may be freely created and changed by the Crookback Council, and are enforced by the Crookback Militia.
- Werebeastism & Sanguinism is legal in the Undercity.
- Removing a denizen of Crookback to cure them of Werebeastism & Sanguinism is illegal, unless unwilling infection is suspected.
- Undeadism is legal in the Undercity.
- Any and all restrictions on the use of magic have been removed. Magic, Sorcery, Racial Abilities, and Ritualism are all legal in all capacities in the Undercity.
- Associating with & recruiting for criminal organisations in the Undercity is legal.
- The Violet Order are no longer barred from entering Crookback, but do so at their own risk.
- The pursuit of bounties and warrants by the Violet Order or Mercenaries in the Undercity, outside of those approved by the Council, is illegal.
- The kidnapping of the noble peerage or government official, both foreign and domestic, is illegal in the Undercity.
- To bring a noble or government official, both foreign and domestic, against their will (including the use of abilities to suggest or coerce their will), into the Undercity, is illegal.
- To kidnap a citizen of the Empire and hold them against their will within Crookback is illegal.
- Enforcing Regalian Law is illegal for all but the Crookback Militia in the Undercity.
- Law protection by civil status is removed. All are treated equal in the Undercity.
- To force alignment - Void/Exist/Ordial - upon Archbloods is illegal. Consent for adjusting the alignment of Primal Archbloods is required.
- To not pay any debts incurred through gambling, bets, or theft of service is illegal and will be subject to collection from the Crookback Militia with proof of debt.