Regalian State Law is active in all of the State Administered lands of the Empire, meaning the Archipelago, Ithania, Lusits, Hadar, and other minor states subject to the Emperor’s governors. Regalia does not have a formal concept of citizenship, anyone who is in the borders of Regalia is a resident, and anyone who owns a house or business is a Citizen. Citizens are subdivided into the Commons (common folk and non-noble citizens), Nobles (those with Blue Blood Family Registration) and Eminents (those who are Ministers and the Lord Commander of the Regalian Empire).
Common Law Book
The Common Law Book deals with simple laws and law violations. It is subdivided into several penal codes each with their own protocols. Generally speaking, if a law is repeatedly violated, punishments are increased, and so if a Low Law is violated often enough, a prisoner may be punished with High Law, or even Crown Law.
- Ancient Law involves a couple of things the Empire specifically does not want to legislate around, because it is bothersome. They are technically crimes, but nobody gets arrested for them, or punished for any actions undertaken during them. One is the ownership of Artifacts, or assault to retrieve an Artifact, both illegal, but neither are punished. Second is attacking the Aelrrigan Magivault, technically illegal, but not punished. Dragon Sites are technically illegal to interact with, but nobody gets punished, neither for interacting with them, or attacking those who interact with them.
- Petty Law involves simple and largely victimless crimes, such as bearing armor or weapons without permit or inside government offices, possession of illegal goods, subjecting an unwilling person to mutations or Magic, Intentionally misgendering someone or engaging in gender or sex based discrimination, Interfering with Knight Duels, Letting minors consume alcohol, or be alone in businesses where it is not suitable for them to be without a legal guardian. Petty Law usually involves a simple slap on the wrist, or community sentencing for community service.
- Low Law involves low-impact crimes that are easy to rectify like trespassing, theft, destruction of property, inflicting non-lethal violence or emotional harm, abducting or imprisoning, refusing to properly title a Noble or Eminent, to impersonate any person of official duty in the military or government or nobility. Low Law usually involves community service or some type of short prison sentencing as well as a fine.
- Occult Law involves specific legislation for Magic usage. Magic usage in public is illegal, and express verbal consent must be given in private properties including businesses. It is illegal to be Vampire or Cahal Afflicted or Undead or Demon Possessed or Horrible Beast, unless a divine reprieve is granted by the Palace. The Mage Specialists of the State Metropolitan have the freedom to use Magic anywhere, anytime. Violations of these laws may result in cleansing, or forms of short term imprisonment.
- High Law involves high-impact crimes that are not easily rectified like destruction of religious sites, spilling blood or bearing arms on Unionist religious sites, sabotaging or generally working against the interests of the Regalian Empire or aiding foreign powers, encouraging seperatism and rebellion, murder, or conspiring against government officials, jail-break or assisting in jail-break and offending the Emperor. High Law usually involves longer prison sentencing, however the Lord Commissioner of the State Metropolitan may also request the Minister of Law to send a Justicar to preside over a trial, and have the Justicar decide punishment.
- Generally speaking, the Metroplitan does not execute people anymore, though there is a legal provision in which they can if a criminal is really just awful and a repeat offender with no chances for restitution or remorse. Other applications of punishment such as a mind control chip, partial maiming (removal of fingers/hands) are also possible, but never without express permission from Lore Staff, asked for by the Lord Commissioner.
Law Exceptions by Rank
- Commons have no exceptions to any Laws. They are punished equally and by the wording of every Law exactly.
- Nobles have just one exception: they may legally slap someone in the face for offending them.
- Eminents have all exceptions: they are completely immune to all laws except Crown Law.
- Suvial Citizens are exempt from any laws banning Demonology, or being Demonically infested. It is legal to have a Demon servant as Suvial.
- Solvaan Citizens are exempt from any laws banning Monster Transformations, or appearing like Monsters. It is legal for a Solvaan to appear Monstrous.
Ministry of Law
The Ministry of Law is a player-run institution controlled by the Minister of Law, who presides over the judicial system of the Regalian Empire. The MInister of Law does not have the right to change Laws on their own (but they can if they receive approval from any of the Princes). The Minister of Law does however accept applications for Justicars of the Regalian Empire provided they have the State Dignitary Pack. The Ministry of Law can also act as Regalian Justicar in their own right, and it is generally their responsibility to send Justicars (judges) to civil trials when requested by the Lord Commissioner.
Some Progression Laws exist that may affect player interactions with Progression Orders. These generally don’t affect server RP, but can be the difference between success and failure in Progressions. They are generally also quite short:
- All lands with majority Altalar populations enforce the Altalar Judicial System instead of State Law.
- Ships may never have their movement impeded on the Shoenn River, or be taxed while traveling there.
- It is illegal to cross into the Allorn Empire, and Citizenship may be stripped for those who try to enter.
- Opiates, both in use and sale, are illegal across the Empire, and opiates in general are contraband and illegal.
- It is illegal to interact with pre-civilized or savage peoples and cultures without express approval from the Imperial Conservationist.
Law Enforcement Rules
Law Enforcement Rules concern special exceptions and limitations placed on the State Metropolitan, Knights, Contract Law, Noble Guards, and other enforcing agencies.
- State Metropolitan members have an automatic armor and weapon permit and may wear them out in the open. The Lord Commissioner is appointed by the College of Princes when the last one resigns or is removed.
- Knights have an automatic armor and weapon permit and may wear them out in the open. Knights may also assist the State Metropolitan and arrest, but may not imprison criminals anywhere but the State Prison.
- The State Metropolitan issues weapon and armor permits to citizens. Each time a new Armament Officer is appointed, all previous permits are invalid. Without a permit, no armor may be worn, and no dagger longer than 10 inches worn.
- Contracts if written in a (minecraft book) signed form, are considered valid. If a Contract is being reneged on, the State Metropolitan must seek to enforce the Contract to the letter, or fine the failing recipient for the cost of failure.
- House Guards of Blue Blood Registered Houses have automatic weapon permits, but not armor permits. They must also be clearly and only be distinguished as Guards, and not serve in other capacities as lackeys or cleaners and the like.
Regalian Boroughs follow slightly modified laws from State Law. It is generally assumed that State Law does not apply to Boroughs, and that their own Laws supersede everything. These laws are made by whoever is appointed leader of a Borough, and enforced by the Borough’s own policing force.
- You can be Cahal.
- You can be Undead.
- Vampires are illegal.
- No Magic restrictions.
- You can recruit for Crime.
- State Metropolitan may enter.
- Bounties from the City are invalid.
- Do not kidnap nobles or State officials.
- Kidnapping is illegal.
- Enforcing State Law is illegal.
- Pay your debts.
- Don’t vandalize religious sites.
- Arson and setting fire is illegal.
- Murder is illegal.
- Adding drugs to drinks is illegal.
- Vandalizing graves is illegal.
- Building statues to gods is illegal.
- Ruining greenery is illegal.