Aloria is rich in both fauna and flora. This page specifically is dedicated to the broad range of animal life which grows and thrives across the many continents. All animals are split into relevant categories, and are further divided into three types. The first is full Wiki pages with greater information supplied due to their significance to Proficiencies, Cultures or Races. The second are the General Animals, the basic and often common forms of life which can be divided into many subgroupings based on the regions they inhabit. The last are the Specific Animals, unique, one-off fauna with unique traits and a place in the lore, yet almost no interaction from the playerbase or practical involvement in Progressions, instead useful as a purely background feature. Keep in mind that this list is not final and will be added to when necessary.
- For a list of all Fauna pages, click HERE.
- For a list of the majority of Fauna able to be ridden as Mounts as part of Cavalry Point Buy/kept as aesthetic methods of travel, click HERE.
Includes all “animals” with a high degree of intelligence, the capacity for rudimentary speech, yet lacking advanced technology or understanding.
Ogres are grey or blue Human-like creatures found in the north of Aloria
in areas like southern Ellador
and northern Essalonia
. Their history is ancient, going back as far as the days of the Drovv
. In more recent times they have harassed Velheim Ailor
brave enough to encroach upon the territory of their Truggs--their tribal groups. These Truggs are led by Chieftains who speak for their Truggs in the annual “Great Horn” debates across the north. Ogres are known especially for their alchemically valuable blood, and for their heavy, durable bones, which are sought after by artisans and weaponsmiths alike.
Similar to the Ogres
in that they are a near-sentient mammalian species the Thylan have been a non-dominating feature of Jorrhildr
times. As tall as a Dwarf
and easily outnumbering the Urlan
and Velheim Ailor
that live alongside them, Thylan are nevertheless badly adapted for the various demanding climates of Jorrhildr. Due to their failure to adapt properly, the Thylan are currently considered a common, though manageable threat or, in some particularly well-fortified areas, a pest. In recent years, however, Jorrhildr’s numerous Seraph
ruins have garnered ever more scrutiny from the outside world, though reaching them requires a long and dangerous trek through Thylan-infested lands.
|Ghor Ka Bloodscale|
The Ghor Ka Bloodscale is a species of diminutive lizardmen that fall behind the line of an intelligent Race
. Most likely a failure of Allar
alchemical manipulation of their own Race long ago, these creatures now live in the wilds in tribes made up of their immediate family. They’re known not only for their creation of simple tools but also for their ability to be turned into menial servants in the halls of the wealthy in Hadar
society. Fiercely territorial, these lizardmen will assault anyone who crosses into their land with stones and teeth.
Cunning and deceitful, the Kelp of Aloria
were only recently confirmed as real by scholars of the Regalian Empire
journeying to Essalonia
. Prone to taking on magical guises, they are notorious for luring their victims to secluded places and drowning them. They predominantly dwell in underwater caves, away from the outside world, but are carnivorous hence their need to hunt, though they more commonly seek out fish rather than people. Kelp are rare and fascinating, but a person should take the utmost care when in contact with one.
The Maerrow are small fish-people that hail from Essalonia
. These carnivorous beings are known to steal the bounty of fishermen on the ocean and in rivers for themselves while also hunting down singular or small groups of targets. They are also known for their hideous, tooth-filled grins which they maintain throughout their lives. Figures of malice to the local Velheim
, they will most likely go extinct in the coming years if they maintain their low population density, largely centered on the central waterways of Veløya in western Essalonia.
The Moloq are a form of aquatic life native to the ocean that lies between The Far West
and wider Aloria
, being known to the Eronidas
, and later Maquixtl
as unique creatures of the water. Semi-aquatic and just as likely to be found on land as within the waves, the Moloq have greatly evolved as a society in recent centuries to have greater order and unity than they did in the past. With thick tendrils from their head which serve as the basis for a Maquixtl transformation, and a quartet of arms, the Moloq are impressive creatures who have often been overlooked in the newer centuries of Alorian history, a situation ultimately to their benefit as they continue to multiply and grow as a near-sentient species.
Harpies are half-avian, half-humanoid beings with an ancient history equaling that of the Centaurs
. Born of unknown origins, Harpies were once regal beings who avoided slavery in the Allorn Empire
through some, now vague means. They were ultimately seduced by the powers of the Void
, a process likely begun by the people who would become the Kathar
, and in the end, the Harpies were reduced to a bestial state in service of the Dread Empire
. While they still possess intellect today, they are best known as creatures of attack and amusement among the Kathar and the other Races
The Centaur is an animal most Ailor
once imaged as a myth, a feature of their ancient pagan faiths, but such a creature has been real for untold millennia. Originating in the lands of the Allorn Empire
, only to later fall to the command of the Void
and modern Dread Empire
, the Centaurs are impressive archers and warriors of the hunt who seek prizes to prove their skills in combat. They have a level of intellect, but remain wild, relatively untamed beings that play a role in some ceremonies worshiping the Void.
The Dakkar are a savage, subterranean Lesser Race
of reptilian creatures native to the caverns of Ellador
. Worshipers of the Power Arken
, these formerly isolated zealots were unleashed when the Dwarves
accidentally dug into the Dakkar homeland, unleashing a tide that toppled the Dwarven Empire
. Millions of Dwarves died, compounding their losses from the birth of the Isldar
on the surface, and while the tide did eventually stop, the world beneath Ellador remains forever changed to this day. Dakkar mill about in petty kingdoms warring with each other and any outsiders who seek to plunge into the territory they now claim as theirs, with woe to any caught unprepared in a savage Dakkar charge of zealous warriors out for blood.
Includes all simians such as monkeys, apes, hominins, lemurs, lorisoids, and tarsiers.
Silvershales are large, well-built primate Mounts wielded by the Urlan
of The North Belt
. Possibly confused for decades if not centuries with the far more savage Frosthorn
, these gentle giants can turn into rampaging beasts of battle when unleashed by their Urlan tenders. Silvershales are also highly complex in their private, isolated groups, with an intricate societal structure but also a deep caring between members of the same species. Rare in the wider world today, it is likely that with the vast rise in Urlan numbers across Aloria
due to their thorough embracing by the Regalian Empire
will see many new Silvershales bred and deployed out with Urlan masters.
The appearance of a Turbahakh will often startle non-Asha
. With a stark coloration on their noses and rears, and a close connection to the Asha, many of these animals serve as something between a pet and a casual servant, though they retain their own independence which the Asha ensure remains intact. Those in the wild, meanwhile, are in scattered pockets across Westwynd
, with their numbers dwindling due to recent warfare in the region, and the sheer fact that they cannot compete any longer with the luxury of their domesticated fellows on the Ashal Islands
The Frosthorn makes up a trio of well known northern primates in Aloria
along with the Troll
and the Ogre
. What makes the Frosthorn unique, however, is its naturally present forked antlers growing from its forehead while its massive size is also notable. In addition, the animal is shrouded in mist, having lived at the edges of major civilizations for several centuries if tales and wall art is to be believed. The animal is also notable as having recently appeared at the Battle of Curag Fields
, furthering the mystery around them just as many more mysteries of the past begin to reopen across Aloria in recent years.
The Troll, a smaller and more reclusive cousin of the Ogre
, is a monstrous beast found in southern Ellador
and eastern Jorrhildr
. Trolls are well known for their fierce attitudes and cannibalism among their own species. The finer details concerning Trolls are unknown due to this aggression and their pension to live underground. They are marked as a danger by both Ogres and Alorian Races
alike but as they breed and live underground, it is unlikely their numbers will sufficiently dwindle.
The Molanna are gentle giants of Oldtera
, inhabitants of a single mountain oasis in the territory of the Silontaar Race
which they bear a passing similarity with due to glowing patches of fur. First discovered millennia ago, and then rediscovered when the Silontaar finally began to leave their home city, the Molanna were a delightful find, and the large primates have gotten more and more used to the Silontaar as time has gone on. With long lifespans, and a caring society, the Silontaar delight in sharing tales and information of the Molanna with outsiders, but any who have nefarious intentions should know the Silontaar guard the borders of Molanna territory fiercely.
- The Orantrang is a Medium primate with orange hair which is often considered a myth or folktale until encountered in person. They are known for their gentle pheromones, which put potential predators and the unwary to sleep.
- Orantrangs are native to Hadaria, western Farsouth, and Jadeheart, but always in small numbers. They keep to the trees and rarely go to the ground save for last resort foraging.
- Orantrangs can be kept in pens and the like but are not truly domesticated. Instead, they can get used to the presence of a singular individual or small group, considering them kin and worth trusting with moving them about or displaying them for others. Otherwise, they will seek to escape if not attack others, proceeding into the trees as a source of comfort.
- Orantrangs are rare, few existing in captivity while populations in the wild have gradually dwindled to small, but so far self-sustaining, isolated colonies.
- Tree Monkeys are a broad range of Small to Medium tree and foliage climbers found throughout Aloria known for their long, prehensile tails.
- Tree Monkeys are divided into several species, each with stark visual differences save the unifying features of long tails. The most notable are the Golden Longtail, Black Leasier, and Tuffed Longtail of Altaleï, Tree Basterion with its unique green fur native to Hadaria, the Capuchini of Corontium, and the Springpaw of Westwynd.
- Tree Monkeys can be domesticated, sometimes serving as active partners for those near or lacking sight, other times existing as animals of entertainment or more nefariously, distraction.
- Tree Monkeys have a varied population across Aloria, those of Hadaria and Westwynd lesser than other populations due to widespread population expansion.
Includes animals with two incisor teeth on both the top and bottom of their mouths, such as mice, rats, squirrels, prairie dogs, porcupines, beavers, guinea pigs, hamsters, and capybaras.
The Vlomm Mole is a burrowing creature equal to, if not sometimes, exceeding the size of a cow with slow motions but a great durability. This is granted to the animal by its unique “plating,” patches of rocky growths along the vital parts of their bodies for defense. The Dwarves
were the Race
to tame them ages in the past, though since the collapse of the Dwarven
nation beneath Ellador
, the ancient tunnels and caves now contain wild members of the species once again. Yet other Vlomm Moles remain in the care of the Dwarves, and can be found in their settlements, influencing the craftsmanship and artistry of this stout people.
Norlda are notorious tunneling mammals similar to moles and gophers, with notably high intelligence. Mutated during the Fifth Void Invasion
, they are now one of the many dangerous creatures encountered by the Sihndar Affliction
in their travels and missions across the continent. The animals have a high resilience to natural toxins and poisons, and an excellent sense of smell, although they also have bad eyesight and poor digestion. They are often pests that are a detriment to Sihndar agriculture, but they also have value to alchemists for creating anti-toxin concoctions.
The Sola Cavya is the humble, adorable rodent of the isolated island of Bunisle
, found in the south of The Azoras
. Whole herds of the animal run rampant through the lush island, to the point that the island is nicknamed the Cavya Isle. Diverse in color, both in eyes and coat color, in addition to coat hair formations, the animal’s further diversification has been helped by the heavy domestication by Ailor
and others who find the animal worth loving as a pet. Highly social with a range of identifiable vocalizations, the Sola Cavya is a pet many seek out, though one that must be given lots of love to properly thrive.
The Skrunklehog also commonly just called Skrunkly, is a very common rodent on the Ellador
Continent (though it is actually not a Rodent, Ailor
scholars have classified it as such due to its behavior). The Skrunklehog both has large populations in the wild, as well as in domesticated households, as these animals have a very temperate disposition that makes them very suitable to domestication. Skrunklehog are especially popular in Ellador, where children frequently catch a wild Skrunkly, and then tame it. These critters are in fact so grateful for being hand-fed, that they can be domesticated in a single generation, and then provide domesticated offspring beyond that point. Skrunklies can be found as far south as Hadar
, imported as house pets, or just for entertainment. Nearly every house pet store in Aloria
has at least one Skrunklehog for sale, with potential breeding mates in the back in case they ever run out.
- Squirrels are Small animals noted for their bushy tails, and storage of nuts in the wintertime.
- Squirrels live across many ecosystems in Aloria, and come in a range of colorations and shapes to suit those varied climates. The most notable are the Soaring Squirrel of Jadeheart, Oldterra and Eastwynd, the Rainbow Squirrel of Sileria, and Paivand’s Squirrel found in Hadaria.
- Squirrels can be domesticated, but only very rarely, more often than not existing in the wild where they are hunted for their meager meat and fur.
- Squirrels remain populous across Aloria.
- Rats are Small animals which see a poor portrayal in many regions as bringers of disease and death.
- Rats live in many parts of Aloria, from the heavily urban, to the agricultural rural, though few size or color variations, and no notable subspecies to speak of.
- Rats can be domesticated and many serve as pets or experiment fodder for various scholarly disciplines, but they are more commonly seen in the wild without such attachments.
- Rats remain very populous in Aloria.
- Mice are Small rodents a step down from Rats, and often have much more positive portrayals as underdogs and innocent creatures, though they can be just as destructive as Rats regarding food stores.
- Mice live in many parts of Aloria just as the Rat does, and there are a wide range of visual differences between the subspecies. The most notable are the Longtail Mouse of Eastwynd, the Desert Mouse of Farahdeen, and the Candle Mouse of Ellador and Northbelt.
- Mice can be domesticated and often serve the same roles as Rats, as pets or experiment animals, but are more common in the wild.
- Mice are very populous across Aloria.
- Anglian Beavers are Small animals which ply the rivers of Anglia in the Regalian Archipelago, felling trees and forming dams in the process of their lives
- Anglian Beavers are uniform as a species, with brown fur in various dark and rich shades alongside a large flat tail and two prominent teeth.
- Anglian Beavers are wild animals, and have hunted infrequently for the pelts over the centuries. However, their important role in Anglia’s waterways and having taught Anglian Ailor the benefits of water control, has given them noted status in some parts of this regions of the Archipelago, forbidding them from being hunted as a result.
- Anglian Beavers have a healthy population, especially as furs go out of fashion in most areas of the Regalian Empire.
- Karall Moles are Large rodents warped by the Void into an immense size, which they use to form vast tunnel networks beneath the feet of many Kathar.
- Karall Moles are the size of bears, and feature broad clawed hands and large ear channels to aid them in their digging, while their small eyes allow them to see well in the darkness. Few Karall have any diverse features beyond scars and injuries.
- Karall Moles are exclusive to the lands of the Dread Empire, and their tunnels both pose a problem to construction, and to certain animal pens kept by the Kathar, as the Karall Moles are carnivorous.
- Karall Moles have an unknown population due to their subterranean living, but attacks continue to infrequently occur much as they did a century ago, leading most to assume their population is sustainable.
Includes domestic dogs, wolves, foxes, jackals, dingoes.
The Silat Wolf is a strange creature: a small species of wolf used as a steed by the Cielothar
, but also one that is omnivorous, unique in the world of domesticated canines. Emerging at an unknown time centuries ago, the Silat Wolf survived at the edges of the Allorn Empire
until its collapse, and the rising Cielothar and subsequent recovery of nature allowed their population to rebound. Highly independent, those trained by the Wind Elves can fight independently from their rider in combat, making them superb defenders of the embattled Race
A ram-like beast with tusks and more horns than its head seems capable of bearing, the Erker is a frightening creature when first encountered. However, the Urlan
tamed many long ago, and those most often seen are in their company, unnerving but no longer surrounded with superstition or speculation, though many a northern horror tale still mentions them. Ridden by the Urlan, Erkers are likely to only rise in prevalence as the years go on, and as the Urlan continue to spread.
The Poukuan is one of the stranger creatures the lands of the distant Sihai
have to offer to the scholars of the wider world. Unlike other animals native to Zhong
, the domestication of the Poukuan is almost a false one as while they do exist in urban areas, it is on their own terms and in a select range of sites scattered across the central, western and once southern lands of Sihai territory. They have an odd, stone-like appearance, as well as a combination of feline and canine features. These animals are a sacred piece to Sihai society, undoubtedly remaining a mystery for centuries more.
In the war-torn lands of the Dread Empire
, there lives a range of dog-like creatures called the Cauruvos. These dogs, though three-headed, fulfill many of the same purposes as canines in Ailor
lands; as docile domestic pet animals, and as frontline warbeasts, shredding the flanks of the enemies of the Kathar
. Away from the warfront, the smaller breeds of Cauruvos can be found as house pets and in the camps of slavers, guarding their masters or their property while they sleep. Cauruvos come in a wide range of shapes and sizes, the result of selective breeding from the Kathar per their needs. However, one trait, despite all their efforts, has prevailed through all breeds; the Cauruvos is bred for war.
Yuen Doges are unique canines and the most well-known breed of all the varieties that exist in The Far East
. Originally bred for hunting by the warriors of Sihai
society, the animal was ultimately adopted by the wider populace as a general pet, where it has grown very popular. This popularity now extends to wider Aloria
, where the animal’s reputation as a clean-freak and an independent spirit, in addition to its cute physical appearance, makes it highly sought after.
- Wolves are Medium to Large canines with a pack mentality best known as a threat in northern areas of Aloria, where thick snow masks their predatory presence.
- Wolves are most commonly found in cold, northern-located climates, but do exist in other surprising places with a danger of dark fur colorations. The most notable subspecies of Wolf are the Northern Wolf found in Northbelt, Ellador, Essalonia, and northern Corontium, the Silver Wolf found in Corontium, Southwynd, and Oldtera, and the Desert Wolf of Farahdeen.
- Wolves cannot be domesticated in the modern day, though centuries if not millennia ago, ancient Wolves were tamed and gradually transformed into the vast array of Domesticated Dogs known today.
- Wolves are somewhat populous in the world, with new packs forming, growing, and sometimes surviving to replenish areas where Wolves are purged from by Ailor and other Races seeking to use the same territory.
- Foxes are small to Medium-sized omnivorous mammals native to various climates and parts of Aloria, best known for cultural perceptions of tricky, sly creatures, and a fondness for preying on domesticated fowl.
- Foxes live in a range of climates, most commonly found in forests and more open terrain, and while often ascribed the color of red or orange fur, come in a range of visual appearances. The most notable are the Red Fox, Calem White Fox, and Golden Fenneque of Corontium, the Grass Fox of Eastwynd, and the Desert Fox of Farahdeen.
- Foxes cannot be domesticated, and exist in the wild where they are hunted for their pelts.
- Foxes remain populous across Aloria, though numbers most consistently fluctuate in Corontium depending on hunting seasons and preservation efforts.
- The Domesticated Dog ranges in size and can be found in a huge range of places across Aloria.
- Domesticated Dogs can be found in almost all environments, from cold, snow-coated rural homes in northern lands to oppoulant southern palaces. They have a huge range of varieties and colorations due to centuries of effort by Aloria’s citizens. OOC Note: Any IRL breed of domesticated canine can feasibly exist in Aloria, and players are free to consult Lore Staff via Discord Tickets on breed naming/other information where information on IRL breeds may be unable to properly translate into Massive.
- Domesticated Dogs are extensively domesticated and live to serve, delight, or accentuate their owners. While some can regress into feral animals, existing in the wild, such cases are overall rare and tend to take place in and around major cities where animals tend to get abandoned.
- Domesticated Dogs remain extremely populous across Aloria.
Includes domestic cats, tigers, lions, jaguars, and leopards.
Anui Lions are huge, proud and loyal feline mounts to the Sihai Race
. They were once feared animals of the wild, but it is said one warrior tamed one Anui Lion, and the rest was history. While they were once used as weapons of war between the various Sihai states beyond their ancient homeland, the emergence of the Jade Wall has seen them instead mainly serve as beasts of transportation and travel. Anui Lions have also inspired much iconography and imagery in Sihai artwork, and are well known in wider Aloria
because of this.
The Qomond is a creature of blended visuals. Its head is that of a shark, while the rest of its body is like that of a lion, and it can be just as ferocious as either animal. Tamed millennia ago by the Fin’ullen
and having served that Race
ever since as their main Mount
when they must travel by land, the Qomond is a robust creature with the ability to form a strong bond with its rider. It is also known for a unique development, born into pools of water, before gradually working its way onto the land.
Mantavaar are large, tiger-like creatures with six legs and striped bodies. Where they differ from the base feline appearance though, is having a humanoid face for their own visage. This is accentuated by a truly breathtaking array of diversity within the species, as they evolve visual traits based on their diets. The animals were likely known to the Eronidas
, but it is the Maquixtl
who have tamed them into rideable beasts of warfare. They are also known for their love of climbing, and for forming bonds with others of a similar age rather than groups based on family units.
The Felipipi is a creature with a blend of feline and canine attributes. It has one outstanding feature however, a prominent hollow horn upon its head that can put people to sleep through the haunting melody that the wind can play through the twisting structure. The Felipipi is an ancient creature of Farahdeen
, native to the region yet hunted by the Qadir
seeking to learn all they could of its strange horn. However, the Songaskia
were far less interested in such a feature as a trophy, and instead tamed the great beasts. They are now ridden by the best of the Songaskia animal tamers and riders, though populations of their kind also survive in the deserts deep within their eastern homeland.
- Jungle Cats are Medium to Large carnivorous felines who exist at the top of the food chain in their respective domains.
- Jungle Cats are best known for possessing black fur, but diverge from there. The Pathor Jungle Cat, or Lesser Jungle Cat, is less aggressive and can feature light dappling on their hind legs with grays or whites. Great Jungle Cats or Jungle Stalkers, have prominent saber teeth and are physically larger with a heightened aggression. Both species exist in various, sometimes overlapping areas, of Altaleï and Westwynd, as well as Westafar.
- Pathor Jungle Cats can be tamed and kept in captivity, but proper domestication eludes modern animal keepers. Stalkers, meanwhile, are savage and unable to be tamed.
- The Jungle Cat remains somewhat populous in Aloria, as increased conflict in Altaleï and Westwynd have seen once formidable populations wiped out.
- Domesticated Cats are Small to Medium animals who can be found in a huge range of places across Aloria.
- Domesticated Cats can be found in almost all environments, from cold, snow-coated rural homes in northern lands to oppoulant southern palaces. They have a huge range of varieties and colorations due to centuries of effort by Aloria’s citizens. OOC Note: Any IRL breed of domesticated feline can feasibly exist in Aloria, and players are free to consult Lore Staff via Discord Tickets on breed naming/other information where information on IRL breeds may be unable to properly translate into Massive.
- Domesticated Cats are extensively domesticated and live to serve, delight, or accentuate their owners. While some can regress into feral animals, existing in the wild, such cases are overall rare and tend to take place in and around major cities where animals tend to get abandoned.
- Domesticated Cats remain extremely populous across Aloria.
- Lions are Large felines of rugged, arid terrain across Aloria, and considered the kings of the domains in which they dwell.
- Lions have a strange spread across Aloria, existing on several different continents, but no clear method for how they were spread to these regions.
- Lions can be tamed, and limited breeding in captivity is also known to be possible.
- Lions grow increasingly rare in Aloria, hunted for their exotic pelts by a number of Races or Cultures, while their territorial spread puts them at odds with many expanding populations.
Includes four-legged animals such as horses, ponies, donkeys, and zebras.
The Ulaan-Shiraal straddles the line for many between an equine and a cervid, but its form is ultimately that of a horse. They are quite noticeable, having a slender, lithe build alongside elegant antlers and an exceptionally long tail. With the rebirth of the Allorn Empire
, it is only a matter of time until the Ulaan become synonymous once again with the Teledden
who so commonly rode them in past centuries.
|Cheval du Ciel|
The Cheval du Ciel is an impressive steed in the equestrian world and a beloved symbol of Ithanian
society. A lithe but athletic horse with large wings and long tail hairs, the Cheval can both fly through the air with grace and speed, and gallop on the ground. It has been utilized by the advanced aerial units of the Sovereign Ithania
known as the Chevaux de l’Aïr for over two centuries, and today is found across Aloria as the elite horse of choice for warriors, nobles and statespeople of the Ailor Race
The Jungle Rhino is relatively unknown to the wider world despite its large size and role in the Sendrassian Civil War
. It was a horrific tool of infanticide, used by both sides, which resulted in the decimation of many local populations on both sides of the conflict. The animal is known for its bulky size, heavyweight and a single horn on the end of its snout. While rare to outsiders, with no specimens surviving off of Sendras
for more than a few years, the animal is pursued for its valuable horn which is unique as it is not made of ivory, but keratin. However, given the vastness of Sendras, it is unlikely the animal will be hunted to extinction by the vengeful Void converts or nefarious poachers.
- Domesticated Horses are Large animals who can be found in a huge range of places across Aloria.
- Domesticated Horses can be found in almost all environments, from cold, snow-coated rural homes in northern lands to oppoulant southern palaces. They have a huge range of varieties and colorations due to centuries of effort by Aloria’s citizens. A number of Ailor Cultures have special, favored breeds with well known traits. OOC Note: Any IRL breed of domesticated equine can feasibly exist in Aloria, and players are free to consult Lore Staff via Discord Tickets on breed naming/other information where information on IRL breeds may be unable to properly translate into Massive.
- Domesticated Horses are extensively domesticated and live to transport both people and goods across many landscapes, but can also exist for entertainment purposes. Feral and semi-feral horses are somewhat common at the fringes of the world due to failed farms falling fallow, releasing their livestock into the wilds.
- Domesticated Horses remain extremely populous across Aloria.
- Elasmo are Medium, hot-tempered relics of an ancient time, with shaggy hair and a single prominent horn marking them out as different from other equines.
- Elasmo were once found across many regions of Aloria, but in recent centuries, now roam in Eastwynd, Southwynd, Fendarfelle and some scant areas of Altaleï, Westwynd and Sileria.
- Elasmo are held in some circles as the ancient origin of the Domesticated Horse, but whatever ancient practices perhaps led to their gradual transformation is long lost to modern animal tamers. They are temperamental, stubborn and highly territorial, and their sharpened horn is nothing to joke about.
- Elasmo are rare animals in Aloria today, keeping to rugged, lightly-populated areas and existing in small herds of maybe only a dozen individuals or less.
- Nerrin Alaan are Large, exceptional equines with magnificent opalescent scales along their neck, legs and face and the ability to psychically communicate with those around them. Their manes, glowing pale hues of purple or pink, also ripple in unseen breezes.
- Nerrin Alaan were once found in various parts of the Allorn Empire, supposedly around sites of Exist power, but since the Cataclysm, their numbers have rapidly dropped and their populations isolated into scattered pockets across the west of Aloria.
- Nerrin Alaan are said to be tamable, but such things are of ancient myths. None have been known to ride a Nerrin Alaan in perhaps 1000 years, though rumors and sightings do purport that the act is possible among those who bond with the animals and meet them on a plane of mutual respect.
- Nerrin Alaan are extremely rare, their numbers believed to be less than 500 and continuing to drop.
Vas Pirions are large bats native to Drowda
known for their consumption of blood and meat as well as possessing different Mutations
on their bodies, granting them a great deal of individual variety. The species is also known for its Titan Pirions, huge versions of their species that command those around them and often lead colonies. The precise origin of this species is uncertain, but their numbers have declined in recent years, which many would see as a positive given their aggressive nature.
The Fruger-Volador is a species of bat native to the lands of Daen
and The Far West
, known for being mischaracterized for years as a bloodsucker and a menace to society. Feared and often killed by the Ailor
locals since the time they were slaves of the Allorn Empire
, the animals greatly recovered following the explosion of nature that followed the Wildering
. Divided into three subspecies of varying sizes, the Fruger-Volador is likely to survive for many more years, though deforestation will probably begin restricting the locations of their colonies.
The Star-Snouted Bat is a curious creature, an insectivorous bat distributed around Corontium
and Oldt Era
. This species is sedentary, long-lived and one of the few bioluminescent land mammals known to man, having a disk-shaped snout that glows white, used to attract prey. The Star-Snout is a skilled and accurate flyer capable of high-frequency echolocation. Seventy percent of its diet is moths, while the remainder is a mixture of ground or cave spiders, beetles, and any other insect it can find. This species of bat hibernates as the supply of insects remains plentiful throughout the year due to the temperate climate of its habitat often dwindling off by autumn. The Star-Snout resides in trees and other forested areas, and during the winter months often find warmth in deep caves and the attics of unaware villagers.
The Sangunos Bat suffers from a very unfortunate connection to Vampirism
, which has heavily defined its representation in urban legends and folklore of many Alorian Races
. The creatures mainly persist through the drinking of blood, though rarely make Humans
or other Races their targets, instead focusing on livestock and other animals in and around their colonies. The creatures, because of this fact and greater superstitions around bats overall, are vilified by society, and their numbers have been rendered small through concerted efforts against them and their kind despite not being related to the Vampires at all.
Includes elephants, mammoths and other huge land-based mammals.
|Three Tusk Tuverophant|
The Three Tusk Tuverophant is a large land mammal from Sendras
known to both outsiders and natives for centuries. While its numbers were damaged by the Sendrassian Civil War
, they still remain on Sendras in a wild,but also domesticated form on Hadaria
. Their three tusks are what gives them their name, though they are also known for their red-brown coat that traps moisture to cool them, which also allows plants to grow on their body. They are also known for their aggressive defense, as if you devote to engaging them; they will not stop until you’ve fled or you are dead. It is currently known if the Sendrassian Empire
has mutated specimens of this race or if they even make use of it, but it is known well in wider Aloria
|Gargantuan Stoneback Phant|
Having been named for their immense size and partial rocky coating, the Gargantuan Stoneback Phant is both a remarkable and feared titan of a creature from the deserts of Farah'deen
. It is common for Stonebacks to be mistaken for dunes or rocky hills while resting. When mobile, however, their thundering footsteps and immense size make them stand out like a sore thumb among the landscape. Stonebacks have had minimal impact on the world, other than having been a thorn in the sides of Qadir
settlements for as long as the dragons that once soared the skies were. However, in stark contrast to the dragons, the Stoneback Phant remains a menace to this day, and is responsible for the demolition of cities and more lives than one can count.
|Pygmee Trunk Tucker|
The Pygmee Trunk Tucker is the smallest of all Elephau
, and its original homeland were the distant continents of The Far East
, which guaranteed that they would never be seen beyond the Sihai
sphere. However, the animals are also found to survive on the Sundial Isles
, a very odd occurrence which has confused some as to how this became possible. Their appearance and attitude, however, is sure to earn them fans among the youth of Aloria
, and they are the most common species of Elephau to be found domesticated in circuses and entertainment enterprises.
An essential though terrifying piece of Kathar
society, the Wódbehaeri are a species of massive Elephau
that dwarf all other types. Their impressive size and strength make them fantastic beasts of transport and war. The most common use for them runs among the wilderness-bound Kathar of Daen
in their war against the Avanthar
. The Wódbehaeri are generally left alone by other sentient Races
, given their presence is solely within the boundaries of the Dread Empire
, primarily in the Wolond Walds. They are a hard beast to fell, but with the march of progress in Alorian
society, this ancient creature is unlikely to endure, even if the Kathar mutate it even more than they already have.
The Maarhanet is one of many animals domesticated by the Asha
people long ago during the golden years of the Dewamenet Empire
while Asha technology was at its peak. Still serving a value to their society after their technological ascension, the species carried on within their territory. Those within the Allorn Empire
suffered a far wost fate, which was soon brought upon the Maarhanet of the Dewamenet as well. The species was rendered almost extinct, but survived, going on to thrive after the collapse of the Allorn Empire, and today, some even live reclaimed in Asha territory. Enormous, powerful, and aquatic, the Maarhanet is a fearsome living tool of war when wielded by the Asha, and a terrifying animal to cross while in the wild.
Includes kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, possums, opossums, wombats, Tasmanian devils, and the recently extinct thylacine.
- Daendroque Possums are Small marsupials from Westwynd known for their nocturnal nature and pension for pretending to be dead when approached by larger animals and Aloria’s Races.
- Daendroque Possums have strange visual traits that mark them out from rodents, a group they were once grouped with. This includes strong gripping tails, a conical face shape, an array of sharp teeth, and a coloration pattern of white, gray and black with pink toes.
- Daendroque Possums cannot be tamed, and are usually viewed as a pest in the farms and settlements they venture into with ever greater frequency as their jungle habitats are cut down.
- Daendroque Possums are populous, but see regional number fluctuations as regional warfare or disruptions to the ecosystems of Aloria have increased in the past decade.
Includes bison, buffalo, antelopes, gazelles, sheep, goats, muskoxen, and domestic cattle
The Aaltaar Bok is a wholly domesticated bovine closely tied to the Eronidas
, as they brought it with them from their homeland during the Great Leaving. Of impressive size and weight, the Bok is still surprisingly quick on its hooves, and while often used as a source of meat and labor, it has also seen use as a mount in Eronidas armies. They are known for their bright white coat, but also for the impressive Lug-Bok, a mutation in the species which produces huge, impressive beasts of great size and strength which lead their herds across their grazing fields and plains. The Aaltaar Bok is heavily devoted to the Eronidas, so much so that they will become aggressive and wild should they lack the presence of one, which means that the two are always located near each other.
To be Written…
The Fastox is a bovid creature native to the northern reaches of Aloria
, with a dense, two-layer coat of hair to keep it warm from the cold weather plaguing these isolated lands. Long widespread across the region, they have been domesticated by Ailor
since before the Cataclysm
for their hair, but also for their meat and more, though many more herds exist in the wild. The animal is also known for their musk, which they release during the mating season, giving them a distinct smell.
The Seiniu is a common cattle animal of the Sihai
homelands. Docile yet capable of defending itself with a horn on its nose and its thick body, the Seiniu has been shaped into its current role by generations of Sihai farmers who value it for its meat, milk, and leather. While wild specimens were all but extinct several centuries ago, the tumultuous years that deeply scarred the Sihai people have allowed feral populations of the animal to emerge in the wild corners of their distant homeland. But as time passes, these feral populations are reintegrated back into Sihai society.
The Muff-oxen is a large bovid found on the Ashal Islands
, and also lives along the rivers that wind through wider Westwynd
. This ancient animal was connected to the Asha
millennia ago when the Allorn Empire
conquered their rival empire, and survived to the modern day in those wilds as well as among the enslaved Asha. Huge, but lacking intellect, these animals eat, grow and reproduce, their meat and dairy a major part of Asha diets today, while the Muff-oxen in the wild are sometimes hunted for those same byproducts.
- Cows are Large mammals domesticated many years ago, and have thus been spread across many lands over the course of millennia.
- Cow breeds are diverse, the result of the individual efforts of many Cultures and Races to meet particular needs. Among the most notable are the fierce, mutated Shadow Bovines of southern Sileria, the Ithanian lait-Blanche of Westwynd, and the plain, but reliable, Anglian Cow.
- Cows are believed to have been wild giant bovines similar in appearance to modern oxen or theFastox, only for time and effort by Races like the Ailor and unknown others to domesticate the animal into its modern shape. Such animals are found all over Aloria, in paddocks, fields, and more.
- Cows are highly populous, constantly being slaughtered for meat and hide, but being replenished.
- Sheep are Medium animals who have been domesticated just as long as Cows and Goats, with a wool-covered body Ailor and other groups have found value in harvesting.
- Sheep have diversified to suit a range of climates and needs by those who tend them, with notable groups being the Ceardian Wooly of Oldtera, the Manteau Sheep of Westwynd, and the Anglian Sheep of Corontium.
- Sheep have been domesticated for millennia, believed to have come from the stock of those found in Oldtera before being spread by the Proto-Velheim and Allorn Empire elsewhere. They are now found on farms and in fields across Aloria, some in a semi-feral state in isolated parts of the world.
- Sheep are highly populous, killed for their meat, shaved for their wool, but tended, protected and supported by chiefly rural Ailor from a range of predators.
- Goats are Medium animals notable for their long domestication, but also for being spread to almost every continent, a rare creature in Aloria to possess such diversity.
- Goats, as mentioned, have great diversity, transformed both by natural environment and the wishes of Aloria’s Races. Among this great diversity are the notable Mountain Trodders of northern lands which have further divided into various subgroups, the Desert Breed of Farahdeen, and the Okosuto of Jadeheart with its unique horns.
- Goats have an unclear origin, but are now tended to in fields and more by Ailor and others, though other groups roam semi-feral if not wholly wild.
- Goats have an immense population, tended to by many groups, and living across many lands which has allowed them to thrive and survive many great turmoils of the past and recent years.
Includes Deer and Elk
The Northern Moose is a massive mammal that openly roams the landscape of Jorrhildr
. Standing taller than the average Ailor, the Northern Moose is truly a majestic sight to behold, given its popularity among the locals. Due to the animal’s resistant nature, it has come to be widely accepted as the symbol of Jorrhildr and its denizens, acting as a testament to their much-bolstered hardiness.
|Imperial Stag Deer|
The Imperial Stag Deer is one of the few creatures in Aloria
privileged to be one of the few animals hunted exclusively by the Imperial Family
of the Regalian Empire
and have long been cordoned off in Imperial Hunting Grounds. They suffered under Justinian I
as Morgann Kade
hunted them extensively to fuel his own personal opulence; they have been recovering ever since and exist in the popular consciousness through a variety of fantastical works of art, both visual and oral, which describe these kings and queens of the forest.
Of all the animals in The Far East
, the Qilin is one of the rarest and most beautiful creatures native to these lands. The Qilin was used as the base for the Qilin Stance
, one of the more visually spectacular transformations and power-sets of the Sihai Race
. It is also the Lunar Spirit to the proud and boisterous Heiyan Sihai, from the Heiyan
Kingdom at the heart of the continent of Zhong
. The animal was once ridden in the distant past, but an ancient conflict between the Sheng Empire
and the last of the nation who supposedly tamed the Qilin put an end to this practice. Today, it exists sparingly in the wilds or is kept in a broad enclosure for the enjoyment of wealthy folk.
- Deer are Small to Large animals native to many parts of Aloria, and are often distinguished by their slender forms, antlers on the males, and rapid, fleeing forms able to elude hunters both beast and not.
- Deer have diversified across Aloria into a range of forms and climates, the more notable of their number being the Woods Deer of many temperate regions, the Imperial Deer of Corontium, with a greater size and exclusive Imperial hunting privileges, the Zhong Deer with its strange “fangs” from Jadeheart, and the Suvial Deer of northern Sileria.
- Deer cannot be domesticated, but are instead preyed on in the wild by animals like Wolves, and hunters of various Races and Cultures, with their skin, meat and bones having importance to various parties, for sale or survival.
- Deer have a healthy population, though the Bone Horror Crisis saw some regions quickly cleansed of this animal.
- Reindeer are Large-sized cervids native to the colder climates of Aloria, where much like the Deer, their horns, skins and meat are valued, however they move in great herds and often have deep religious conotations.
- Reindeer have a dark, thick coat of hair that shields their bodies. Their antlers do not just appear on both sexes, but are also rounded and lack the pointing of Deer horns.
- Reindeer are unable to be domesticated, but certain herds can be made semi-feral by nomadic Velheim Ailor who follow and interact with them frequently. It is said in the past that these connections have even allowed for Reindeer riders, but this is not seen today.
- Reindeer have a waning population. While it was once populace, chaos in many northern lands have seen many herds killed off, and those left smaller than they have been perhaps since the Cataclysm.
- The Bakhshuna Jamal is a Large, strange dweller of the desert, and one of the few native animals of Farahdeen to survive the Great Storm that ravaged the continent.
- Bakhshuna Jamals have many adaptations to the deserts they thrive in, with a third eyelid, a single, large fat deposit forming a hump on their back, and special feet for walking on the sand.
- Bakhshuna Jamals are domesticated, by both the Qadir and Songaskia. While both do not use them much, the Qadir favoring their machines and the Songaskia, a myriad of other methods, the Jamal is a local cultural symbol, and is thus important to both parties. The animal also exists in greater, wild populations.
- Bakhshuna Jamals are generally uncommon, with the open wilds of Farahdeen being where their small groups roam, and even smaller groups kept around the various settlements of the continent.
- A Large cervid of unknown origins, the Drowdan Stag rushes through the corrupted wilds of Drowda.
- Drowdan Stags are unique for their large, backward facing, moose-like antlers, deep blue or purple coats of hair, and for the bioluminescence of their bodies matched by similarly stark electric blue or purple eyes.
- Drowdan Stags largely exist in the wild, their population moving in a ceaseless migration corridor across a number of the distinct regions of Drowda, seeking to avoid the worst of the demonic landscape. However, some were fully domesticated by the Sihndar over two centuries ago, and serve as honored mounts of messengers and warriors on high-profile missions.
- The Drowdan Stag population is low, divided between the Nine Herds, large groups of up to several thousand Stags which complete a migration pattern across the landscape year after year.
Includes weasel, badger, otter, marten, ferret, mink, stoat, and wolverine
The Evjer is a large mustelid that was well adapted to the cold, even before the arrival of theIsldar
who eventually caused a blast of Magic
that froze much of the traditional lands trekked by the Evjer. The animal made a fortunate impression and was eventually domesticated, and now serves as the Mounts
of many Isldar, though wild members of their species still exist. Evjer are also noted for their high sociability and agility, despite what appears at first glance to be a bulky frame.
- Badgers are Medium animals best recognized for their stark white striped bodies, and subterranean living conditions.
- Badgers have a few subgroups, divided by the continents they reside in. There is the Northern Badger, the pale-furred Eastern Badger of Jadeheart, the rather aggressive Western Badger, and the Heartland Badger of Corontium and surrounding lands.
- Badgers cannot be domesticated, some being particularly wild and territorial, but they are valued by some for their furs. Otherwise, they are left alone by most.
- Badgers are uncommon, their numbers limited due to years of hunting and predation by other creatures, but also due to environmental damage their homelands have suffered. The Northern Badger in particular suffers from this, as does the Western Badger.
- Weasels are Small mammals well known in Aloria, with a small, long body, and a nature used as an insult by many, the result of the animal being a pest upon Ailor and their avian livestock for many years.
- Weasels have diversified greatly, and are believed to be one of many similar creatures in Aloria, with long narrow bodies, but differences in location and physical size. Notable subvarieties of Weasel include the Daen Weasel of Westwynd and the Anglian Weasel of Corontium.
- Weasels exist both in the wild but also in domesticated surroundings, odd pets to keep but pets nonetheless. Those in the wild keep to forests and temperate regions, but also in regions with farms for Chickens or Geese which Weasels seek out for the ease of hunting.
- Weasels have a high population.
- Ferrets are Small cousins to Weasels and Stoats, being known for their set home boundaries, and fine furs popular in many groups for winter wear and more.
- Ferrets are generally the largest of the three long and narrow “ferret-form” mustelids in Aloria, with limited diversification. The most well known offshoot from the standard Ferret is the Calemberger Ferret, whose white winter coat and rugged living space makes it a grand prize for hunters.
- Ferrets exist in the wild in set territories, while there are also domesticated populations kept for their furs, but also for companionship.
- Ferrets are uncommon, bordering on rare in some areas as they are highly sought after for their pelts in a seasonal cycle.
- Listigsvart Stoats, or Black Stoats, are Small mustelids native to the lands of Northbelt, well known for their glossy black fur.
- Listigsvart Stoats have rounded ears, large jaws for biting, four sturdy paws, and a large glossy black tail, much like the coat which lays over their body.
- Listigsvart Stoats cannot be domesticated, and exist in the wild across the snow-dusted landscapes of the Northbelt, pursued for their pelts.
- Listigsvart Stoats are uncommon with a solid population in most areas.
- Red Pandas are Small, red-furred animals with little in common to the larger bear species they draw their name from.
- Red Pandas are bushy creatures, with a thick coating of hair, large pointed ears, a black-furred underbelly and legs to contrast the bright tones of their back and face fur, and commonly rush up into trees to eat their meals.
- Red Pandas are fairly common in the mountain valleys of Jadeheart, sometimes living beside the Panda Bears they get their name from (as in the Sihai Language, they are called the Little Panda). They can be kept in captivity fairly well, but cannot be domesticated.
- Red Pandas are common and healthy in population, with efforts by The Zhong Kingdoms to ensure the animal continues to thrive.
- Bears are Medium to Large omnivores that are prevalent cultural symbols to many of Aloria’s people - revered by some, feared by others.
- Bears exist across most of Aloria in many diverse environments, from tropical forests, to northern tundra, and even around urban centers. Notable species include Polar Bears of Northbelt, Ellador and Jorrhild, Brown Bears of northern Corontium and Eastwynd, Grey Bears of southern Corontium and Southwynd, Black Mountain Bears from the highlands, and the Panda Bear of Jadeheart.
- Bears cannot be domesticated, though some are tamed for entertainment purposes in circuses. Such things are seen as vulgar in those societies which venerate the creatures as paragons of strength.
- Bear populations vary on species, some bears such as Grey Bears being incredibly common, while other species of bears are uncommon or are elusive, such as Polar and Panda Bears.
Includes pigs and boars
- Domesticated Pigs are Medium-sized omnivores that are often raised for food, and rarely, companionship.
- Domesticated Pigs have many breeds, one notable breed of Pig being the Pygmee Arloran Pig of Eastwynd, the world’s smallest breed of Domesticated Pig. OOC Note: Any IRL breed of domesticated swine can feasibly exist in Aloria, and players are free to consult Lore Staff via Discord Tickets on breed naming/other information where information on IRL breeds may be unable to properly translate into Massive.
- Domesticated Pigs exist within just about any society, having been domesticated long ago, and have many species bred for specific purposes, such as producing more meat.
- Domesticated Pigs have a large population due to their ubiquitous nature across many societies. Domesticated Pigs are even considered invasive in some regions, because whenthey escape captivity, they’re known to quickly become feral and regress back into boars.
- Ridgeback Boar are a very specific Medium to Large breed of undomesticated wild pig found exclusively in Corontium and are a cultural symbol among some Ailor groups, most notably the Velheim.
- The Ridgeback Boar lives exclusively in Corontium, and only in forested regions in the middle and northern regions of the Regalian Archipelago. Ridgeback Boars are distinctively different to feral Domestic Pigs (often also called boars), made out by theur their ‘mohawk’ of tough, bristly hair that goes from the top of their head to their tail.
- Ridgeback Boars are only found in forests but have a low population as decades of hunting by Ailor had decreased their numbers. Ridgebacks are known to be incredibly aggressive because of this, and are often killed if they impede loggers or wander too close to civilization.
Includes Rabbits and Hares
The Antelabbit is a terrifying creature, thought to be a Void
corruption of some ancient rabbit unfortunate enough to be within the energy’s corrupting reach in the Fifth Void Invasion
. It appeared like any other common rabbit but hidden just barely beneath its surface are savage features that aid it in its hunting and consumption of meat. The animal has even been known to eat other members of its species and those hunters who are paid enough to pursue them know to never underestimate these little furry beasts.
- Rabbits are Small mammals best known for their rapid reproductive rates, and quick, darting bodies.
- Rabbits exist across much of Aloria, and have diversified to suit these climates. The best known of the many groups are the Cottonfluff Rabbit of many temperate regions, the Striped Rabbit and Pygmy Rabbit of Westwynd, and the Magni Rabbit of Corontium.
- Rabbits exist both in the forests, fields and more of the wild as well as in domesticated surroundings, making both suitable pets and challenging but useful livestock.
- Rabbits are incredibly common, with healthy populations the world over.
- Hares are the Small, slender, speedy cousin of the Rabbit, exemplified by a larger size and more solitary lifestyle than the gregarious Rabbit.
- Hares have spread to similar areas as the Rabbit, but some are more suited to harsher conditions Rabbits cannot thrive in. Such notable species include the White Hare of Northbelt and Ellador, the Desert Hare of Farahdeen and the Sihai Hare of Zhong, this particular species being said to be blessed by the Dragons themselves.
- Hares only exist in the wild, and cannot be domesticated unlike the Rabbit. They can survive in most similar places to Rabbits, but the two species rarely bond or live in close proximity.
- Hares are common, but certain species suffer from severe conflicts and situations taking place in their area of living, like those species of the north and in Farahdeen.
Includes aquatic mammals such as whales, dolphins, seals, sea lions, walruses.
Aetherwhales capture the imagination of many an Alorian
today. These beautiful creatures of the sky with a majestically massive form are widely believed to have been driven to extinctinction through centuries of hunting, deaths, and finally irreversible world-altering events. The scholarly community is confident in this assessment but as long as tall tales from Ellador insist on their continued survival, then the hope of the Aetherwhale’s return remains alive.
- Seals are Large aquatic mammals, often commercially sought after for their coats of blubber and fur.
- Seals live in the typically colder waters of Aloria’s oceans, as each subspecies are suited for more frigid climates, such as the Blubber Seal of the seas around Ellador and in the North Belt.
- Seals can be caught, tamed, and kept, often for the purpose of performing tricks and more for audiences, while those in the wild can also be made more familiar with certain people who bring them food or treats.
- Seals are populous in Aloria, with chaos at the expense of the Velheim benefiting their numbers due to a lack of hunting efforts in various areas.
- Though in the same aquatic family as Seals, the Walrus is a Large animal that possesses unique differences such as their unrivaled size, massive tusks, and mustache of whiskers.
- Due to retaining immensely blubber-wrapped bodies, the only regions Walruses find suitable are the most frost-bitten regions of Aloria, and they have resisted diversification due to this common place of dwelling.
- Walruses cannot be domesticated, for their reliance on their pack, intimidating size, and high temperament makes for too hazardous a pet. However, this fails to prevent the Walrus from being hunted and harvested for its natural abundance of blubber, and ivory from its tusks.
- Walruses are populous only in the most frigid climates of Regalia.
- Dolphins are Large aquatic mammals recognized for their sleek and finned bodies, toothed beak, and beloved playful personalities.
- Dolphins inhabit a wide variety of aquatic habitats across the Regalian Archipelago, ranging from the most populated of estuaries and harbors, to the isolated depths of the offshore ocean. They also have a number of subspecies, notable among them being the Rose Dolphin of Jadeheart, the White Fair Fin of central Aloria, and the Salt Sea Spinphin of southern Aloria.
- Dolphins may be pseudo-domesticated, in the sense that their fondness of socialization allows them to recognize and connect with people in ways that most other aquatic mammals could not.
- Dolphins remain populous across Aloria, their spread being a major reason for their variety of subspecies.
- Whales are Large to Immense creatures that rule the seas and are the largest aquatic mammalian species known to the world at this time.
- Whales are a versatile sort, and expand across a wide variety of subspecies suited for most all aquatic climates around Aloria.
- Whales cannot be domesticated, if only for their simply unmanageable size. As such, they can belong to no proverbial “home”, even if they are commonly appreciated for their majestic natures.
- Certain Whale populations remain healthy across Aloria, though others have suffered from the awakening of the Deep Sea Serpents, the rise of aquatic Bone Horrors, and overhunting by whalers.
Includes innocent birds that like to sing or other varieties of non-predator bird.
Jong-li Nightingales are exotic songbirds from The Far East
that are known to sing a unique warbling tune that has long seen them connected to the afterlife, death, and mourning. Each group of Sihai
has their own beliefs about the bird, and they are better known to Regalians
as a songbird who refuses to sing when they are inside of a cage. Instead, they must be free and open in a space in order to let out their song.
Solacian Sunbirds are highly colorful and cheery birds native to the Solacian Isles
, though they are most populous on Solacia
itself and nearby Killarallis
. The bird is also domesticated in large numbers, and a favorite bird of the merchant class mainly thanks to its ties to the Tolonne Ailor
, but also because of their colorful appearance and relatively low cost as an “exotic” pet. The birds are also well known for being able to mimic the speech of other animals and the Races
, though only for short bursts, as the bird lacks complex thought functions.
The ancient history of the Dewamenet Empire
is hard to learn about in the modern day, even for the Asha
who seek to reclaim their legacy. But some features and truths shine through clearer than others, and one of these is the Aphed as well as its role in ancient Asha society. Deeply tied into ancient Asha beliefs about the afterlife and the Ordial
plane, the bird has retained these connotations in the modern day alongside other superstitions, from a herald or companion of death, to a messenger of the Baskarr
gods. They are also fascinating for the unique illusion cast from their bodies as they fly at night, appearing almost as spirits rather than living birds.
- Chickens are Small descendants of jungle fowl kept by the ancient Ailor of the Allorn Empire, which have now become commonplace and very important to the everyday lives of many.
- Chickens have a range of colors, from white to black to brown feathers, sometimes with a mix of both, but these divisions are largely down to the breeding of farmers and animal tenders, not their environment as they have been wholly shaped while in captivity. This range of breeds also lack any of real note.
- Chickens exist almost exclusively in domesticated surroundings, kept as livestock key to many millions every day. What few exist outside of this are semi-feral, and not truly wild.
- Chickens are very populous, being found in almost every community of Ailor in Aloria and beyond.
- Geese are Small to Medium birds with a worldwide spread similar to that of Chickens and Ducks, though not as populous due to their foul tempers, and larger bodies.
- Geese have diversified in the wild and in urban centers, with more notable differences in their various appearances. There are the Essa Geese of Eastwynd, who are known to migrate great distances, the black and white Hooded Geese of Corontium, and the Patterned Geese, with a range of physical colorations and patterns.
- Geese can be domesticated, used for their feathers and meat and kept on farms and in fields. Those in the wild are rarer, and often at the fringes of civilization or in the wilderness.
- Geese are populous across Aloria.
- Ducks are Small waterfowl well known to Aloria for their distinctive calls, and a universally soft, youthful and cute symbol.
- Ducks have diversified both in captivity and the wild into a range of species. The most notable of these are the Royal Canard of Westwynd, the rare and uniquely colored Daen Sea Duck of Westwynd, and the extravagantly colored Beyljon Duck of Jadeheart.
- Ducks can be both domesticated and found living in the wild.
- Ducks are highly populous in Aloria.
- Ravens are Medium-sized birds in the same family as Crows, both animals having a black reputation, with Ravens specifically often identified with thieves.
- Ravens have gleaming dark plumage and are less social than Crows, while also having longer lives and focusing on large pieces of carrion for their meals.
- Ravens are wild birds, unable to be domesticated.
- Ravens exist in the wilder spaces of Aloria, across many regions and climates. A certain subgroup of Ravens has drawn attention in recent years for their apparent connection to Dragons, these being the Ravens of the Hinterlands in Corontium.
- Crows are smaller than Ravens, but are equally as populous, with their own reputation and ties to death making them a feared animal.
- Crows have plain, even light, black feathers. They are highly social, and tend to go after smaller prey but also a range of grains and plant produce, be it in the wilderness or in tended fields.
- Crows cannot be domesticated.
- Crows exist across Aloria in a large spread similar to that of Ravens, their groups known as murders sometimes forming dense clouds in the air at times of harvest. They are also the bird more likely to exist in and around urban centers.
- Flitting Springbringers are Small, brightly colored birds with gleaming feathers and a long, narrow beak who love fresh flowers.
- Flitting Springbringers have a range of startling colorations, as well as small, rapidly beating wings which they use to, as their name suggests, flit about, sucking up the nectar of flowers and putting pollen on their beaks, before moving on to some new flower to do the same.
- Springbringers cannot be domesticated, and cannot be easily held in captivity, the sole places such a possible being a robust greenhouse where they can feast on the flower nectar they so love.
- Flitting Springbringers are uncommon, keeping to certain local ecosystems dotted across Aloria. Their greatest numbers are in Corontium and Westwynd though.
- Crowned Eflaln are Small songbirds well known to the lands of the Allorn Empire, tied with royalty and prestige.
- Crowned Eflaln are covered in pristine white feathers, with clear blue eyes and a small, curled cresting of golden feathers around their smooth head, producing a crowning effect.
- Crowned Eflaln are not domesticated, but can be kept in captivity, though are often allowed to roam semi-feral through the grand cities of Altaleï and the Westwynd mainland.
- Crowned Eflaln are a populous species, commonly seen among the soaring towers and structures of Teledden, Fin’ullen and Ithanian cities
- The Beian Crane is a Medium-sized bird also called the Little Baente, known for its role in the society of the Sihai.
- Beian Cranes are water-dwelling, with long legs and white and red feathers on their heads in a different pattern to those of the Baente.
- Beian Cranes are unable to be domesticated, the best anyone can hope for are semi-feral groups living in and around large public gardens or near Sihai settlements used to the presence of the Race.
- Beian Cranes are common across much of Jadeheart.
Includes birds that hunt other fauna.
- Hawks are Small predatory birds known across Aloria, who commonly seek to hunt smaller animals on the ground, swooping in to pick them up or wound them with their talons
- Hawks have been diversified both by their broad spread across the lands of Aloria, and by the effort of various Races who make use of them to aid in hunting. Among the most notable Hawk subspecies as the Ceardian Longtalon found across Aloria, as well as the Imperial Hawk and the recently renamed Waldmark Black Hawk of Corontium.
- Hawks can be domesticated and have been, though such numbers are very low when compared to those of the wild. The reason for this is that most Hawks are raised and tamed for their use in hunting, but no other profession.
- Hawks have a healthy population across Aloria.
- Falcons are Small birds much akin to Hawks, though they instead use their beaks in hunting, and pursue aerial prey.
- Falcons come in a range of appearances, fostered by both environment and the whims of Aloria’s Races. Notable among these many groups are the plant life-colored Cuauhnimb of Westafar and Altaleï, the Red Kestral of Farahdeen and the Wys Falcon of Oldtera, Southwynd and Corontium.
- Falcons can be domesticated and have been for centuries, lending their name to the entire branch of hunting and showmanship which uses many of the domesticated examples of the animal.
- Falcons are common in Aloria.
- Eagles are Medium-sized birds of prey which often soar high above, apex predators of the air in the domains they lord over from high-build nests called eyries.
- Eagles, in their spread across various Alorian landmasses, have diversified into a range of forms. The most notable among these forms are the Crow Eagle of Corontium, the Jade-Sea Eagle of Jadeheart, and the Goldrust Eagle of many continents.
- Eagles can be domesticated and used in falconry, however, they are rather large and must be carefully tended to.
- Eagles are common across Aloria, but some species are rarer than others, regional populations harmed by hostile aerial Bone Horrors, as well as global conflicts.
- Owls are Small to Medium birds of the night, who silently glide down and seek to snatch up their prey, and are commonly perceived as wise animals in many Cultures.
- Owls have proliferated across Aloria over many centuries, and have many notable members. Of these, there are the Brown Owl, the White Owl, the Throatcapswald War Owl and the Tytan Owl, whose territory covers a broad temperate to cold-climate axis across central Aloria, before an outlier in the Dark-Eyed Owl in Jadeheart is also of importance.
- Owls can be domesticated, but rarely are, their nocturnal nature making them poor everyday companions due to their need for sleep.
- Owls are common in Aloria, kept that way by their adaptability and broad spread.
Includes birds that spend a lot of time in or around the sea.
The Puffugl is a strange bird, with many stark bright and neutral colors to its body, and a division into three subspecies based on physical size and beak shape. The birds have been known to inhabitants of the north for generations, serving as a food source to the few who brave getting a sharp swarm of pecks from the flock, or to the even more foolish a source of monetary gain, because of the bird’s nests, consisting of a collection of stones and materials which can be quite valuable. Puffugl have also been domesticated by one Race
alone, the Dredger Dwarves
, but these numbers are minor and are only members of one of the subspecies. The birds are likely to continue surviving in the north for many years to come, thriving in the waters as well as along the coastlines.
The Fargalka is a recently discovered species of bird native to the Northern Expanse
, a harsh landscape that has somehow allowed these fowl to survive. They have a stark gender dichotomy, with fat, slothful males sitting in cliff holes who serve as the door stoppers for active females feeding both them and any nests of chicks located behind the unmoving male. Further voyages to the Northern Expanse may reveal more information about the species, but it will undoubtedly take years for this information to unravel itself.
To Be Written…
- Sea Pidaleers are Medium-sized birds well known to those who travel the sea, with much symbology tied up with their ancient presence in and around the oceans.
- Sea Pidaleers have a long, slightly hooked beak, large wings for extended periods of gliding, and a covering of white feathers, though their wingtips and faces feature black feathering.
- Sea Pidaleer cannot be domesticated, instead living wild in great colonies either on or just offshore many continents in Aloria.
- Sea Pidaleers have recently become uncommon in Aloria, their population healthy where they are found, but their colonies increasingly becoming abandoned or destroyed as cities and settlements expand.
Includes birds that spend long periods of time up high in, close or above the cloud cover.
Hoton Longfeathers are best known to Aloria
as massive birds that fly ridiculously high above the clouds, and only come down when they wish to sleep on top of mountains. It seems that with time, the species has gradually grown more untethered from the earth. They used to be a jungle-dwelling species hunted to extinction by the Altalar
and soon after, the rest of the species entered the life they are best known for today. They are also well-known animals because of the many superstitions that surround them; from a millennia-long lifespan to how their feathers make the perfect arrows on account of their straightness and sharpness once broken off. The Longfeather is a rarity nowadays, millennia of existing in Aloria taking its toll, but many in Daen
still look up in wonder at the distant speck of black that they can sometimes see between the clouds.
Thunderbirds have long been associated with the natural phenomena of thunder and lightning in all three regions they once lived in. The Western Thunderbird today survives within the borders of Ol Lavei Fyror
, unbothered for centuries just like the Altalar
who observe it gladly. The Central Thunderbird was native to areas of Corontium
; it was rendered extinct by the Ailor
by 100 AC. Finally, there is the Eastern Thunderbird, known to the denizens of Farah’deen
for centuries. All three subgroups have been tied into helping create natural weather patterns, at least in the mythologies and old writings of the ancients. Today, their cloak of feathers is their main draw and will fetch a tidy sum due to its deep blue coloration and association mentioned above with the weather's mystical powers.
Ciel'lapanna Cranes are elegant birds best known for consuming the neon-blue Skymoss
that infests the many spires of Altalar
civilization. Their appetite for the moss made them a useful creature for the Altalar for centuries, as even with Magic
, effectively cleaning their tall, sleek, and angled surfaces was a dangerous task. Though their presence did drop in populous cities around drop as the Allorn Empire
began its decline, its population and presence surged following the Wildering
, and they are once again a major and welcomed site on top of many Altalar spires.
Morroks are huge predator birds native to Ellador
, but tamed early on by the Dwarves
and becoming beasts of war, dropping special pods behind enemy lines to let Dwarven warriors pour forth. Following the freezing of Ellador their numbers dwindled, and today they are rare, both in Ellador and overseas in Dwarven communities scattered across Aloria
. They are best known for their testy personalities and are regarded as a strange company for the Dwarves to keep, though ones they have had for centuries, if not over a millennium.
Saidiau is a type of bird that have served as a symbol of love for as long as the Sihai
people have existed, their bright blue and green plumage a startling sight in the mountains of The Far East
. They are invaluable avian companions and messenger birds, traveling great distances with ease. They are known to be kind and social creatures, devoted to one another. They have always had large numbers on their side, and have weathered the many chaotic events of the recent centuries of Zhong
’s history with grace.
- Oscriid Vultures are Medium, broad-winged birds which fly in the arid mountains of western Altaleï, in the lands now held by the Princedoms of Oscriid.
- Covered in dark brown plumage but with bald heads and exposed necks, Oscriid Vultures have a sour reputation, often tied to the Harpies, a Race no longer and now pets of the Kathar.
- Oscriid Vultures are solely wild, and do not survive well in captivity, losing their feathers due to stress and dying within mere years.
- Oscriid Vultures are uncommon, keeping to the isolated peaks and old ruins of Harpy civilization, but are pursued for their feathers by Kathar while also suffering the corruption and deterioration of their homeland to the Void.
Includes ostriches and peacocks
|Üssey Terror Bird|
To be Written…
Mooan are large, wingless birds found roaming the expansive grasslands of Daen
. They eat a simple diet of insects and seeds, which is just about as simple as their brain. Known for their distinctive “Mooan” cry that gives them their name and their tactic of falling over as a distraction, the Cielothar
have managed to tame a population of the animal in their settlements and overall the Mooan has survived countless harrowing events. It is unlikely that the animal will vanish from the Ularen Plains that they call home any time soon.
Ollivear resemble large, birdlike Ogres
with arms and long feathers. They are hostile and dangerous predators that grow as tall as an Eronidas
in height and far wider in girth. While native to Guldar
, they have also made nests in Daendroc
due to the Eronidas transporting eggs during their great exodus.
- Jin-Lung Peacocks are Medium birds with impressive tailfeathers and beautiful, gleaming colorations, though are incapable of sustained flight save for short periods of gliding.
- Jin-Lung Peacocks sit low to the ground, their tailfeathers often dragging behind them, but these are capable of leaping up into a glorious display surrounding their body with eye-like patterns.
- Jin-Lung Peacocks exist in the wild and in captivity, but cannot be domesticated despite the many years of effort the Sihai have put into the endeavor.
- Jin-Lung Peacocks are common in Sihai lands, surviving well due to the strong efforts of the Sihai people to keep the creatures safe.
Includes giant, unnatural and exotic birds.
Much like its aerial sibling, the Hoton Longfeather
, the Rokha is a titan of the air, native to lands long inhabited by Nelfin Races
. However, where the Hoton Longfeather became a fringe animal largely ignored by the histories of the Allorn Empire
, save for tales of its unique feathers, the Rokha kept a constant presence in the mind of the Altalar
-ruled nation given its aggressive tendencies. Its name became tied to power, strength, and later fear, as the proto-Kathar
emerged in The Far West
. While the bird is considered by some to be extinct since the Cataclysm
, scattered reports suggest their continued existence in isolated pockets across Aloria
, with their spotless feathers highly sought after by hunters.
Viewed as a strange beast by both the Asha
and the Allorn Empire
, this native Ithanian species is rarely, if ever, interacted with by any being outside of its own species. Later into the time of the Allorn Empire, the beast became symbolic of Ithania itself, subsequently causing their image became a standard architectural feature. In the years since the Cataclysm
, the animal has retreated deeper into the Ithanian forests they reside in. The creature’s most notable feature is its inability to fit into neither avian nor mammalian, simply defined as a feline head connected to a bird-like body. Today, they are most commonly seen set in stone as a minor animal in the pantheon of architectural symbolism the highly cultured Ithanians make use of though some Ithanian nobles do seek the challenge of hunting down this beast.
The Baente is an enormous species of crane native to the Sihai
continent of Zhong
, and one of its most revered animals. The animal has had portions of its population domesticated for centuries, and while these mounts are unable to fly with the weight of people on their backs, they still present an elegant terrestrial ride for those who make use of them. The War of the Weeds, fought between 250 to 238 BC, led to populations being low in number and scattered into isolated regions. While the animal has been taking time to recover since this disaster, the governments of The Zhong Kingdoms
have made sure to let all know: if you harm any Baente, you will answer to high justice.
Includes dinosaur-esque reptiles.
An agile nightmare to some, and a loyal companion to others, the Two-Claw Raptor has had a long history with the Allar
. Ultimately tamed some three centuries before the Cataclysm
, they proved pivotal in the Sendrassian Civil War
where both sides made use of their ferocity, speed, and tracking ability through the jungles they called home. Naturally living in large packs, a significant number of tamed Two-Claw Raptors traveled with the future Hadarian Allar away from Sendras
when they were defeated, and now call Hadar
a second home. However, wild packs, and Sendrassian Allar mounts, still lurk in Sendras to this day.
|Sendrassian Long Maw Saurian|
The Sendrassian Long Maw Saurian is a relentless predator, dominating the continent of Sendras
for centuries despite the Allar
trying to force it away at one time. Infamous for being one of the largest and strongest predators on Aloria
, this enormous creature has had a great impact on the military culture and lifestyle of the Allar in the form of the tale of the first hunters who took a Long Maw down. They are also known for possessing several unique body features suspected to have gifted to them by their diet and the Void
worshipers who won the Sendrassian Civil War
. As a result, its body parts are highly sought after by Allar alchemists.
A tenacious body and a vicious bite, the Crúa’ciadenö is a small airborne reptilian from Sendras
that was brought to Daen
, via the first Elven
expeditions to the ancient continent, and later to Hadar
during the Allar
exodus to that continent. It is one of the few reptiles capable of flight, sporting wing-membranes that span from their end-fingers to their hips. They are thought to have been creatures of reverence during the earlier years of the Serass Empire
, respected due to their dragon-like characteristics. Many Elven and Allar biologists bicker over the name, since the Elves made the most widely known name for the species, due to their earlier formalization of written language; however the Allar claim to have named it first.
Includes freshwater tropical or saltwater reptiles.
Long, with a savage toothy maw and an equally powerful tail, the Saltwater Snapper is a crocodile of large proportions and infamous reputation, known to inhabit the waters of Hadaria
, and the coastline of Teled Methen
. Known to be quick to temper and constantly hungry, Saltwater Snappers are symbols of ambition and ferocity but also of the Allar
who sometimes share many features with these wild beasts.
The Longtail Croque is an aquatic reptile indigenous to Ithania
. It has been part of that region’s history since the Dewamenet Empire
, where it harassed the Asha
people and was possibly tied to their ancient religion. With the rise of the Altalar
and later Ithanian Ailor
, the creature was actively hunted out of the major waterways of the nation to help maintain the peaceful culture Ithanians are known for. The animal is notable for its long tail, its “pack” societies as well as regional colorations and gender populations.
Includes all snakes and serpentine creatures.
The Maaris Cobra is known as an exotic mount of the Songaskians
who is well adapted to the clime it exists in. Its stark black color scheme easily marks it out in the desert sands, as does its ability to defend itself from attack by spitting its venom. The animal is also well known for its aggressive male-to-male mentality in the wild, though domestication has all but extinguished it in those tamed and ridden across the sands of Farah’deen
The Lumizass is a small, wholesome, somewhat dramatic but definitely naive pygmy snake that is very popular among children, especially in Ithania and for the Altalar. This fast living and peach loving snake has completely gone extinct in the wild, but remains a thriving pet in captivity that doesn't seem to mind its captivity at all, instead even developing to thrive while being taken care of by civilized people.
Feared as a merciless killer, and told of in the oral tales and stories of Nordskagian people, the Medskala is a slithering predator from the Kingdom of Nordskag
. Although similar in more ways than one to their serpentine cousins, these snakes are much bigger, more dangerous, and extremely cunning. The Medskala is reputed throughout Nordskag and generally given a wide berth by Nordskagians out of fear of being consumed.
The Rainbow Snake exclusively inhabits the dense jungle continent of Sendras
, where the Allar
used it for decades in the creation of alchemy products before these practices ended following their civil war. The animal is rare, with a high youth mortality rate, but once it has matured and starts producing its bad-tasting slippery black reflective oil, it is guaranteed to survive for a long time. The animal is also known for rarely hunting prey, instead going after the dead of Sendras first. Their spread is so vast, across the entire landmass, that it is unlikely they will slip into the darkness of extinction any time soon.
Includes iguanas, geckos and multiple varieties of small or medium sized reptilian life.
Marrack Ravagers are savage reptiles of violence and bloodlust that were tamed generations ago by the Kathar
. Now their chief Mounts for conflict, the creatures are distinctive and recognized by many other Races on sight. Ravagers are unique not just for their love of blood and carnage, but also for possessing a small third eye upon their heads that serves an extra-sensory function. They are also known for their insanely long tails, reaching nearly twice as long as their stout bodies.
Corr’daga are unique reptiles known to only one area of Hadaria
, that being the Minoor Isles. First encountered immediately upon the arrival of the Altalar
settlers fleeing the degradation of the Allorn Empire
, the species ability to run on water, and easily climb trees in a corkscrew fashion has made them a useful tool by the Minoor
military. Known for their great migrations, and lethargic nature, the Corr’daga is also brightly colored and leaves a mark on all who encounter one.
Anyone who wishes to cross the deserts of Farah’deen
will no doubt encounter this deadly reptile along the way - If they can spot it. This lizard is infamous for its venomous bite and perfect camouflage, capable of killing a victim in minutes while staying hidden amongst the sand. Outsiders easily underestimate the Hagaan, but most locals know to be extremely wary of this territorial animal, especially if they are traveling at night.
Shssisses are strange, highly slippery reptiles with an unknown background and very unique abilities. They have the ability to camouflage in Void
-rich environments and can mimic speech, though some reports claim certain members have real intelligence and can talk properly. They are found both in the wilds of Drowda
, where the Sihndar
consider them an emblem of the Void, but also in the urban centers of the Dread Empire
in the Far West. Here, the Kathar
appear to have the animal domesticated as symbols of status and power, though the tales they tell of the creatures are quite outlandish.
- Gilded Iguanas are Small reptiles with a brilliant golden sheen to their scales found across Nelfin lands due to their close association with Savellon, Gilded Strike of Perfection.
- Gilded Iguanas thrive in humid climates, and originally emerged from the western lands of Altaleï around the grand temple to their associated god. Transportation by the Allorn Empire took it to many other areas.
- Gilded Iguanas are found both in the wild and in the care of masters across Aloria, though those numbers in the wilderness dramatically dropped with the arrival of the Eronidas and their deleterious effect on the lands of Savellon prominence.
- Gilded Iguanas are populous in Aloria, with the domesticated variety found in the hands and homes of many Estellon faithful, while those in the wild lurk in pockets of population in the lush jungles that remain following Eronidas deforestation.
Includes reptiles that possess many mammal-like traits.
One of the stranger creatures to emerge from the Essence
-soaked lands of the Sihndar
, the Qilkar is a large chiropteran-esque beast which also possesses strange reptilian features. Ridden by the Sihndar as a unique mount in their expeditions abroad and at home, the creature does not fly as its chiropteran features might suggest. Instead, it can leap great distances, and grip onto the ground, granting them superior and sudden movement in regions with rough terrain.
The Khunma is a rare variety of steed found in The Far East
with a combination of mammalian and reptilian traits said to originate from their draconic origins as gifts from the Loong Dragons
. Well adapted to a variety of climates, the Khunma has also diversified in coloration over the millennia it has had to spread across the distant homelands of the Sihai
. Most favored by warriors and the rugged of society due to its naturally fierce face and temperamental nature, the Khunma is quite the sight for the unprepared and is certain to leave a lasting impression.
The Taraq is one of the strangest animals of the Ashal Islands
, though its original domestication and views by the ancient Asha
are lost. The animal is unique for a number of reasons: from a strange, feline-like face; to their heavily armored bodies with slightly pointed club tails; to their live births next to the river estuaries they live near. The creature has been sought after by many outsiders for centuries for their meat, and the glory of felling such a beast, though the “danger” factor of the myths around the creature have greatly diminished since knowledge has been shared of their herbivorous nature.
To Be Written…
- Pastalids are Small and strange animals well known for their rainbow scaling, but also for having tufts of pale hair around their limbs, and the ability to curl into a ball similar to an armadillo.
- Pastalids are native to Westwynd, specifically the lands now dominated by the Ithanians in the north of the region. They prefer humid, dry climates, and so most commonly fringe the vast dried flats in Ithania.
- Pastalids were domesticated early into their history, and while their wild populations have reduced in number, they thrive in the care of others. They are social and gentle animals, able to bond with an owner for life.
- Pastalids are common among the homes of artists, performers and entertainers of Ithania, as well as among the households of those who support such people or enjoy exotic pets. They are also commonly a feature of circuses, and are known to be juggled by well trained men and women. Those in the wild keep out of sight, shy, but able to lured out with insects.
Includes turtles and other reptiles that live in the water.
The Mossassarios is a huge marine reptile, capable of deep dives into the depths of the southern and western seas in the pursuit of its favored food and other prey. This creature often uses brute force when hunting, and by the end of their long lives, have earned many wrinkles and scars as signs of their great age and power in the hostile Oceans
of Aloria. It has been observed for centuries by some of the oldest Races
, yet details of its life and actions remain shrouded by those same depths it hunts in.
|Gargant Hadar Trunkrond|
The Gargant Hadar Trunkrond has a well-deserved reputation as the largest turtle in Aloria
. Having survived since the rise of the Slizzar
and past their fall, the Trunkrond is now rare due to the damage wrought by the Chrysant War
. They are now slowly making a return once more as their large size deters people and animals from hunting them. They are also known for returning to certain beaches to lay their eggs, carrying on a legacy somehow known to them despite rarely ever visiting these spots previously. Unless Hadaria
suffers another disaster, these giant reptiles will still be around and swimming through the seas for centuries to come.
- The Ridgeback Turtle is a Small to Large terrestrial turtle and often featured as a wise animal in Ailor and Allorn folktales.
- The Ridgeback Turtle is most typically found in the warmer climates of Altaleï, with a handful of subspecies in nearby lands which greatly vary in size and colorations. The domesticated Niñi Ridgebacks, the Mapa Ridgebacks found in forests and the Abuellta Ridgebacks found on Westwynd’s tropical islands are among the most notable subspecies.
- While all Ridgebacks can be domesticated, the Niñi Ridgebacks are the most popular option due to their more manageable size.
- The recent Dread War has harmed the population of the Mapa subspecies, though overall the Ridgeback Turtle remains populous.
- Snapping Turtles are Medium to Large sized turtles who owe their name to their incredibly strong jaws and beak, quickly snapping at passing-by prey.
- Snapping Turtles primarily live in the various swamps found across Aloria, but can also be found in freshwater rivers like the Silmae River. The Tylossare Snapper, a more aggressive subspecies, are commonly seen in Eastwynd swamps, while the massive Great Bog Snapper lives exclusively in the swamps of Anglia in Corontium.
- Snapping Turtles only exist in the wild, as domesticating them has been proven ineffective, and dangerous. However, they are often hunted for their meat and shells.
- Snapping Turtles remain populous across the world despite being hunted as a food source.
- Although the Sea Swoof is a Medium to Large type of aquatic medium-sized snake, it more closely resembles a mix of snake and skate, sporting a flat, red and blue scaled body.
- Sea Swoofs are found all over Aloria, from shallow waters in Westwynd to the coasts of Sileria. Their markings and colors change depending on their habitat, to make them better blend into their surroundings.
- Sea Swoofs can be domesticated, but are extremely impractical to keep due to their size and aquatic habitat.
- Sea Swoofs are rare animals, mostly due to their solitary nature.
Includes large reptiles.
Satraps are beautiful sky serpents with two sets of feathered wings, which let them glide through the air and carry their passengers or load effectively. They have long been close to the Allar Race
, the species splitting into two varieties after the conflict in Sendrass
drove the losing faction to the tropical islands of Hadar
. The Allar, with the help of the Slizzar
, have helped to foster the native population of Hadarian Satraps into a powerful Mount
for use by those two Races, but only for those with great skills and the full trust of their home city or village. Satraps are also known to be able to shoot precise sprays of water from their beaks after swallowing and storing a set amount of the liquid.
The Basilisk, also known as the King of Snakes, is an immense serpent native to the Stone Forest
of Teled Methen
. Its origins are unknown and lost to myth and history, though its strange obsession with Dragon
bones and riches have earned it notoriety among the scholarly community. It is also notable for how it exerts control over the Stone Forest Snakes
, and is considered to be one of the most deadly monsters in Aloria
given its additional abilities to turn invisible and being resistant to magical attacks.
|Deep Sea Serpent|
The Deep Sea Serpent is one of the largest creatures in all Aloria
, certainly in the Alorian Oceans
. For centuries they were worshipped as divine beings and living gods by the Slizzar
, but their numbers diminished after the Cataclysm
. With the fall of the Essa Empire
, Deep Sea Serpents were declared extinct after the Regalian military’s victory at Fesso Hualla. Unknown to many, the Deep Sea Serpent still lives on in the depths of the ocean, but they have become very scarce following the Bone Horror Crisis
that filled their waters with undead monstrosities.
|Shallow Sea Serpent|
The Shallow Sea Serpent was once a powerful cousin to the Deep Sea Serpent
; an apex predator that infested the freshwaters of Daen
and beyond. Unfortunately, the rise and ultimate decline of the Allorn Empire
ended their superiority, rendering the animal extinct. It was mostly known for its mythical ability to breathe fire - in reality, this was a unique hunting system that involved rapidly boiling the water and air around its neck. Their skin developed to resist such heat. While the creature is formally considered to be extinct, rumors persist of surviving specimens though most have been confirmed to be nothing more than seals, trees rotting in the water, and overactive imaginations.
Includes all frogs and toads.
- Toads are Small to Medium sized amphibious creatures with short limbs, short faces, and often rotund bodies. They are typically carnivorous in nature and prey upon small mammals, reptiles, arachnids or insects.
- Toads are found all across Aloria in any environment that is not too cold for them. They have no preference to wet or dry, and can exist in marshes, jungles, forests, grasslands, savannahs, and even deserts. One notable species of Toad is the Silver Poison Toad of Fendarfelle.
- Toads can be captured and kept as pets, and often are, but they’re not truly considered domesticated, only tamed. Toads do have many useful alchemical properties, however - such as the toxic secretions of Silver Poison Toads.
- Toads have a large and diverse population spanning across the world. Some Toads, such as farah’deen desert toads, are much more elusive, however, than other species.
- Frogs are Small amphibious creatures with long limbs and long faces, and bodies built for hopping rather than crawling. They are carnivorous in nature and prey on any small vertebrate or invertebrate they can fit into their mouth.
- Frogs are found anywhere there is fresh water; Frogs cannot exist without moisture or else their skin will dry out and they will die, so they are only found in extremely wet areas. Some notable species of frog include the toxic but colorful Dart Frog, native to the jungles of the Allorn Empire, Dread Empire, and Guldar, and the Highland Creaker of Corontium.
- Frogs can be captured and kept as pets, and often are, but they’re not truly considered domesticated, only tamed. Those that keep frogs often do so in man-made ponds or in display cases, where the frog can happily exist. Frogs have many useful alchemical properties as well, such as the toxins produced by Dart Frogs. In some places, Frogs are also eaten as a delicacy.
- Frogs have a large and diverse population anywhere that they can be found. Some Frog species do suffer from the activity of sentient Races, however, in the form of marsh draining, river damming, or any other forms of habitat destruction.
Includes salamanders, newts, and other lizard-like amphibians.
The Dirrin Reptile is an extremely strange animal among the mounts of Aloria’s
. For one thing, it is not a reptile and is instead a giant salamander creature. However, its unique traits do not stop at just its size, as it is also somehow able to walk up vertical surfaces. They are highly valued and revered by the Suvial
, whose death-struggle with the Kathar
of the Dread Empire
has seen the unique use of such creatures in many battles. The Dirrin Reptile, while lacking sophisticated intellect, is still a steed much respected and used by the Suvial.
The Axolotl is one of the strangest creatures known to Aloria
and is the vexation of many a scholar. Based upon appearance the Axolotl looks like and resembles an alien-looking fish with small legs that enable it to walk or run along the bottom of riverbeds. For centuries scholars miscategorized it as being a type of fish, but this is not true. Later scholars recategorized the Axolotl under a different name as the larval form of some salamanders native to Daen
, but that also wasn’t entirely correct. In fact, the Axolotl isn’t a fish, and isn’t the larval form of a salamander but is its own unique species. While it resembles a developing salamander, the Axolotl stays in this ‘larval’ state its entire life up until eventually expiring from old age. Sadly, the numbers of the Axolotl are decreasing drastically in the wild as the rampant growth of civilization has caused significant ecological damage in the delicate conditions that the Axolotl is native to. Most recorded Axolotl are kept in captivity either by scholars investigating their properties in alchemy and biology or as pets to people who prefer exotic creatures.
- Salamanders, also called Salas’maïdar in western lands, are Small to Large amphibians which exist in many damp places across the world.
- Salamanders are spread across Aloria with many unique physical adaptations and appearances native to certain regions. Notable examples of this diversity include the Titan Salamander of Jadeheart, the subterranean Paleflesh Salamander of Corontium, the Screaming Salamander of Southwynd and Eastwynd and the Mountain Newt of Southwynd and Corontium.
- Salamanders can be kept in captivity, though not truly domesticated as they are unsophisticated creatures. Larger Salamanders are also harder to keep contained, while one must also be careful to not accidentally acquire a poisonous member of the various subspecies.
- Salamanders are populous across Aloria, the various subspecies thriving in their home environments. While some are under threat, others elsewhere make up the population losses with gains.
Includes all fish who primarily live in freshwater such as ponds, freshwater lakes, rivers and swamps.
The Fairfin Fish is a ray-finned species of fish commonly found in freshwater and saltwater bodies of water throughout Daen
. Though they share a long and winding history with the various Nelfin
populations there; believed by some to have even predated the Allorn
occupation in the region; their modern notoriety is attributed entirely to how widely available they are as a native food source. The Fairfin Fish is found across the Sovereign Ithania
and the modern Allorn Empire
, effectively encompassing all of Daen. Regardless of where they’re found, Fairfin Fish are easily recognized; and highly sought after; for the quick, easy game they provide.
The Meetok Fish is a freshwater fish from Sendrass
, and is one of the most populous animals on the jungled landmasses. With origins dating back centuries, the animal has remained unchanged over the years, as it has near-perfectly adapted to the swamps and vegetation-filled rivers of the region. It is most known for its brilliant emerald, ruby and sapphire colorations as well as having an incredibly brief life cycle. Today, people and animals across Sendrass enjoy this fish as a food source, greatly enjoying the simple but tasty creature while the wealthy must pay out of the nose for the same experience.
The Ksai Fish is a species of Fish
native to the lands of The Far East
, n used by the Sihai Race
for centuries as both a source of food and decoration. Over their time in captivity, their coloration has been altered into a range of vivid, pleasing hues, and those who have escaped into wild populations have carried these spots of color with them. With the desire for goods from the Sihai homeland increasing and more Sihai leaving said homeland to explore the outside world, Ksai Fish are shipped abroad and traded with increased frequency, making them a common sight to those surrounded either by Sihai or Sihai commodities.
The Kalmian Spineback is a fish unique to the Kalm Lakes of Cain
. As an anadromous fish, they swim through the various streams and rivers that feed the Lakes to breed. As a result, all of the nearby Velheim
nations are supplied with food every autumn in a predictable fashion. In ancient times, it was said to be easier as the fish never “fought back” like they do today; their sharp spines are known to hurt animals hunting them as well as fishermen, and damage their tools. Regardless, the Kalmian Spineback remains a constant source of food for the local people around the Kalm Lakes and are viewed as a delicacy by non-Cain Velheim and some foreigners.
Passive Saltwater Fish
Includes all fish who primarily live in saltwater such as oceans, seas and saltwater lakes who feed on plantlife and do not actively eat their own kind.
Passive Saltwater Fish
Linella were once thought to be unique fish that excreted a shiny, long, elastic thread known as Elastan, however, it was rather quickly discovered it was not the case. These fish were found to be located in and around reefs surrounding the Ashal Islands
and the continent of Daen
as a whole and, due to a series of small thin hooks around their bodies, would pick up stray pieces of floating Elastan as well as any debris that floated on by. Once the misconception was swiftly dispensed with, both Fin'ullen
began to seek out the fish as a steady source of meat and protein for their diets. Many sailors amongst both the Finullen and the Asha tended to use these fish passively to determine if any other vessel had passed through the area, their ability to accidentally hook the occasional debris and waste leading to the discovery of sunken wrecks disturbed by the currents or another passing ship that simply drifted on by. The Linella is still a common sight and staple in both Asha and Finullen culture, though both parties would never admit to sharing such a similar cultural food except in the capital city of Talant Amanra-Assalei
, though even then it is more a begrudging admittance rather than any form of appreciation or cultural understanding. To this day, despite the Asha’s lapse of history, it still retains the same use as it held in the past, and the Asha continue to use these fish to locate the coral reefs from which they extract Elastan to this day.
The Findt is a species of silver-gray fish that heavily populate several of Aloria
’s most well-traveled seas and oceans. It is key to the lifestyle of many fishing communities across the world but is most tied to the Velheim
and Gallovian Ailor
, who believe it’s tied to the Old Gods
. It exists in a nearly ceaseless series of migration patterns across the many Alorian bodies of water it inhabits with no particular or consistent reason.
Barnacle Trout are common saltwater fish that have lived in Aloria
for millenia. They are notable for their diet of crustaceans, principally barnacles, which they eat using their flat teeth. They are also notable for the purple stripe that runs the length of their ocean blue body. They migrate across the world, following ships and feeding on barnacles to stay alive. Though this habit can lead to problems despite seeming like a good thing for ships on the surface.
|Eelboor Man of War|
- The Eelboor Man of War is a Medium species of giant jellyfish which floats through currents and oceans in the center of Aloria.
- Their greatest tendrils, as narrow as thread, can reach a length of over twenty feet, while their large billowing heads make them an easy sight in shallow water.
- Eelboor Man of War cannot be domesticated, their blooms of up to 500 members are pulled and moved by the currents alone.
- These jellyfish travel in “blooms” of about 150-500 members, typically staying with these blooms for their entire lives.
- While these jellyfish are passive, their tendrils release a painful venom on contact, leading to scores of folktales warning people to beware the Man of War.
- The Mulaan Manta is a majestic, Large mantra rey most associated with the Fin’ullen.
- Possessing a dark blue and gray color scheme, with a white underbelly, their two huge fins see the Manta gliding along underwater in complex social structures.
- Mulaan Mantas cannot be domesticated, though can grow used to the presence of Fin’ullen or other underwater Races, as well as accompanying Ailor.
- Mulaan Mantas are uncommon, their large numbers slowly dropping over the decades since the Cataclysm, though their large squadrons are still impressive to behold.
Predatory Saltwater Fish
Includes all fish who primarily live in saltwater such as oceans, seas and saltwater lakes who feed on other fish.
Predatory Saltwater Fish
|Pahltu Reef Cracker|
A fearsome predator of the sea, the Pahltu Reef Cracker is one of the largest fish to currently exist in Aloria
. With tough armor and a seemingly obstinate need to destroy, these fish are found scouring the reefs around Hadaria
, endlessly seeking out their next meal. Part of their name came from the term given to them by the Allar
, however, the rest was decided based on their behavior. While people have attempted to use them as food, this has been concluded to be not worth the time; they aren’t very tasty and have a layer of armor to get through before they can be considered edible. Their numbers have been dropping considerably due to the amount of prey in the waters decreasing, both from their predation and due to commercial fishing, causing a lack of sustenance to maintain their large bodies and stay alive.
|Crescent Sickle Shark|
The Crescent Sickle Shark is a medium-sized species of shark native to the coastlines of the sandy, arid lands of southern Essalonia
. There they built up symbolism among the Qadir
but the current Songaskians
who dominate the region hunt them far more than the Qadir ever did. Still, the animal remains populous and spreads across the waters of two continents. It is well known for its unique fin shape as well as for its method of feeding by surging straight up, which often causes them to breach the surface of the waves.
Sawbone Sharks are small sharks spread across Aloria
in dark regions inaccessible to many. Here the strange creatures with their saw-like snouts swim in small schools and live a life largely in avoidance of surface turmoil and chaos. Their unique facial feature has caught the attention of many, and the fish is now viewed as more of a curiosity than an actual resource. As a result, when they turn up, they are prized by the right type of nautically-inclined people but remain largely ignored in the dark depths.
|Great Reef Masscar|
Great Reef Masscars are some of the largest sharks in Aloria
and populate the tropical reefs found in several oceans. They have a very unfortunate reputation, saddled with mostly Ailor
-generated imaginings of a bestial creature lacking complexity or thought, though these are false. Instead, the creature is social, avoiding conflict with Ailor and other Races
, and mostly feeds on the formal foods pursued by sharks.
Includes all coral and starfish.
The Mewnes is a species of soft coral that dominates the coastal waters around the Ashal Islands
. Its history is unknown, but its role in modern history cannot be ignored. It extrudes the light, and weavable Elast threads, used by the Asha locals to create the fabrics of Elastan
, which are breathable and elastic fabrics widely used by the Asha
and other Cultures
who trade with them. The Mewnes itself is colored a vibrant clash of pale yellow and blue and is known to be visually impressive, and equally known to impress those who view it.
A common sight among the aquatic wildlife in Essalonia
, the Staryon Starfish is truly one of a kind. This little invertebrate comes in a variety of colors which all depend on the temperature of their habitat and the composition of their diet. Although they have a relatively short and uninteresting history in the eyes of most scholars, the Staryon has a special place on the coasts of Essalonian states and the waters surrounding it. The Staryon can also be used to produce vibrant dyes but many of these are only available to merchants of the Songaskian Masaya and insular states, making them rare in other areas of Aloria
. Many scholars in the field of aquaculture continue to study the Staryon and its remarkable ability to convert different materials into a natural dye.
- Despite popular belief that most Coral is simply some form of mineral, they are actually all colonies of tiny invertebrates that form complex structures that tend to mimic aquatic flora.
- Capable of a range of sizes, from small, simple formations to huge waving fans of bright coloration, the sheer array of Coral types makes them hard to catalog. The most notable are Walking City Coral, Framboise Tentacle Coral, and Crusted Monument Coral.
- Different species of Coral can be fostered in an enclosed environment, but true and proper domestication is impossible.
- Coral is highly populous, forming vast reefs of material across many regions of Aloria. While war and conflict has damaged some areas, the repair will be quick to arrive.
Includes all crabs and lobsters.
Many fishermen and people who posses a general love for the sea will know the Nordskag Kreb. One of larger of the crab species, many inhabitants of the North adore catching and eating this crustacean. Populating the majority of the waters in Nordskag
, the Nordskag Kreb has been a delicious meal for the Velheimers
that caught them since they began catching them centuries ago. With a somewhat spiky and hard shell, all predators of the crab tend to be way bigger than it, as is custom with crustacean species. The Nordskag Kreb is rather abundant, and has a sweet flavor when their meat is properly cooked, the Kreb’s primary use is as a generic food product across Aloria, though focused in areas dominated by the Velheim.
For as long as Alorians
have been sailors, they have told tales of a leviathan that could tear apart a Altalar Peth’sella
in the blink of an eye. The Whale Crab is the largest known crustacean in Aloria
, and it is due to this size that it has become the subject of maritime folklore. They are said to have terrorized seafarers for millennia, across Cultures
and even Civilizations. The Whale Crab has been the source of much speculation, from the ordinary mariner to the trained scholar, and whether argued to be real or mythical, it will continue to haunt the seafarers of Aloria.
The Verdmer Crab is a small species of crab native to the tropical and warm waters of Corontium
regions and eastern coastlines in Daen
. The creature has been enjoyed for its meat and gleaming shell for many years but also has a few other notable features. Its shell becomes blighted with age, the clear gleaming greens transmuting to be splotched with patterns of whites as it continues into its mature adult life.
|Hadar Island Crab|
The Hadar Island Crab is a diverse species of freshwater, land-favoring crab native to the tropical islands of Hadar
. First silently observed by the Slizzar
in their long history with the region, the arrival of the Allar
saw several species reduced in number or undergo population shifts. The Chrysant War
devastated these populations further, and while they are rapidly recovering, continued regional tensions will likely see the crustaceans take another hit. Their most common visual trait are its sunken eyes, matched with a diverse range of colored carapaces alongside narrow, tight-pinching claws as well as a territorial streak.
Includes all invertebrate bugs such as beetles, bees, ants, and more.
Elmin are large, rideable insects with moth-like qualities used by the Maraya
as a method of non-Crystaltech
transportation. Their origin is mysterious, with explanations ranging from experimentation with ancient Vault-stored creatures, to them being a natural creature long removed from Sendras
. They have a wide range of colorations that coat their large bodies, and this beautiful, soft “fur” is appreciated even by some of the biggest lepidopterophobes.
The Enferena are strange atmosphere-dwelling insects born on the ground and capable of raising hundreds of feet into the air upon maturing and developing their ability to form a unique gas that fills a similarly unique sack of flesh sitting where their abdomen should be. The creature has been tamed by the Maraya
, and a large portion of the formerly wild species now focuses their life in and around the various epicenters of Maraya civilization in Aloria
. The insects are often odd pets, and rarely found outside of Maraya civilization due to their strange appearance inviting violence or misunderstanding.
- Bees are Small, common creatures across Aloria, serving to pollinate flowers and produce honey, a sweet nutritious food product that many Races seek for themselves.
- Bees come in all shapes and sizes in a range of environments. The notable subspecies of the stinger-less Southern Bee of various regions, the Farah Bee of Farahdeen and the long lived Sihai Bee of Jadeheart.
- Bees can be tended to and cared for by Ailor and other Races, but true domestication is not possible. They are still wild animals, and so should be viewed with caution even by beekeepers.
- Bees are incredibly common in Aloria.
- Wasps are Small to Medium insects who broadly have a negative profile across the Alorian Races for a more “aggressive” nature, though they too serve as pollinators.
- wasps have diversified much in the same way Bees have, and survive in similar regions. Notable species of Wasp include the Potter or Mudflat Wasp of tropical Westwynd and Corontium, the Sand Wasp of Farahdeen, the large Hadar Wasp of Hadaria, and the Eastern Wasp of Jadeheart.
- Wasps are wild creatures, not tended to by Races, and are not known to produce anything of value for extraction like Bees and their honey.
- Wasps are highly common in Aloria.
- Butterflies are Small to Medium thin-winged beauties of the air known for an array of beautiful patterns along their wings.
- Butterflies thrive in a range of warm climates, but also migrate in and out of areas which experience winters, like the Regalian Archipelago. The most notable species of Butterfly are the emerald Grand Papillon of northern Westwynd, the purple Lilaspitze and Black Cloth Butterfly of Corontium, and the Stained-glass Flier of various western lands.
- Butterflies cannot be domesticated, as they are simple insects lacking the intelligence for such. However, they can be kept in captivity.
- Butterflies are very healthy in numbers across Aloria.
- Moths are Small night time insects with a similar appearance to Butterflies, though they are “feathered” and generally appear more fuzzy.
- Moths have diversified to suit a range of regions and climates. The most notable of their number is the Feathered Meadowfly of Westwynd, the Hortaal Moth of Altaleï, and the terrifying Teartaker Moth of Farahdeen.
- Moths cannot be kept in captivity, nor can they be domesticated, instead living wild in a range of environments.
- Moths have a high population.
- Dragonflies are Small to Medium insects with long tails, wings and bulbous eyes known for flitting about the surface of ponds and rivers.
- Dragonflies thrive in moist climates, yet have adapted to suit a range of temperate to humid environments. Notable among the subspecies that have developed is the Axen Pondflitter of Corontium, Southern Longwing of both Corontium and Westwynd, and the largest of all Dragonflies, the Titanfly of Hadaria.
- Dragonflies are wild animals, and cannot be domesticated.
- Dragonflies are common in most areas, but damage to their aquatic ecosystem caused by recent conflicts and calamities have seen some species almost entirely disappear.
- Flies are Small insects with a poor reputation given their common appearance in and around filth as well as the dead of violence and disease.
- Flies exist in a wide range of climates and regions across Aloria, however, there are no notable subspecies as study into these creatures is limited.
- Flies are insects, mindless and unable to be controlled. While they can be kept in captivity, used for some experiments and the like, they are largely left in the open to roam as they please.
- Flies are highly populous in Aloria, and have in fact seen booms in their population due to the increased conflict since the start of the new century.
- Ants are Small creatures of the earth, and sometimes the air, known for their industrious nature and complex nests underground, as well as vast numbers.
- Ants are highly diverse, their carapaces a range of colors and bodies altered in certain environment-attuned ways. The most notable Ant species are the Red Ant of various tropical regions in the Alorian south and west, and the Pale Ant and Tower Ant of Farahdeen
- Ants cannot be domesticated, though some have sought to keep them in glass boxes, allowing for a view into their activities “underground.”
- Ants have a high population and are commonly found in many places.
- Beetles are Small to Medium iridescent insects with thick shells and complex “horn” formations on their head.
- Beetles are found in many regions, and have even gained, or at once had, important connotations with regional faith practices. Among these more notable species are the flesh-eating Torat-Nekh and tattoo-dye producing Rikhzah Beetle of the Ashal Isles, the Jade Beetle of Jadeheart, and the Nos’kärrab of western Altaleï.
- Beetles can be kept in captivity, but like most insects, lack the mind for proper domestication. However, certain Races like the Asha have such a long history with certain groups of beetles, outsiders would swear otherwise.
- Beetles are highly populous, like many species of insect.
- Fendar Rotbiters are Medium to Large segmented, centipede-like organisms which, while traditionally happy to eat rotten trees, can and will also consume rotting flesh.
- The thick, smooth covering of the Fendar Rotbiter carapace is a deep blue hue, while their many limbs are a shade of deep brown. They sense through the use of two long antennae above bulbous, mirrored eyes.
- Fendar Rotbiters can only be found in Fendarfelle, where they run wild and infest the jungles. They generally keep away from settlements, but attacks have been known to occur, with their bite capable of delivering a painful acidic toxic that can leave permanent scars, further adding to the animal’s name.
- Fendar Rotbiters are likely far more common in the inland regions of Fendarfelle, but many believe they are likely suffering adversely due to the arrival of Bone Horrors to the area some years ago.
|Farah Dune Worm|
- Farah Dune Worms are gargantuan omnivorous worms feared by many. Perhaps one of the largest animals in existence, members of this species average at 1,300 feet in length.
- Farah Dune Worms can only be found deep into the deserts of Farah’deen, in both Qadir and Songaskia territories. While keeping away from larger settlements, they have been recorded to swallow entire caravans, bursting from the sands underneath
- Nobody has ever succeeded in nor dared to domesticate the Farah Dune Worm, as most encounters with the animal are lethal.
- Farah Dune Worms are rare animals, both due to their solitary nature and their habit to hibernate underground when food becomes scarce. Curiously, they only emerged after the events of the Cataclysm.
- Also known as the Amel Moth, the Ilphrinyas Moth is a Medium, brightly glowing species of insect heavily affected by the Exist and tied to the relevant Estellon god.
- Ilphrinyas Moths are often pure white, or possess minor streaks of pale blue or green in their wings, alongside golden, reflective, eyes. They also tend to leave small trails of white behind them as they fly.
- Ilphrinyas Moths live in strange, ceiling-hanging hives, and oddly thrive in underground ruins or mountain caverns. They cannot be domesticated, and in fact, will grow aggressive, whole hives having been known to swarm against those afflicted by the Void and causing intense burning sensations or eye damage through their bright flashes of light.
- Ilphrinyas Moth are rare, as they were once found across the Allorn Empire, but have greatly diminished in number since the Cataclysm.
Includes all joint-legged invertebrate animals such as spiders and scorpions.
The Giant Spider has terrified many people for decades and was originally widespread across the north and west of Aloria
until the Cataclysm
, which isolated them to only two continents. They are certainly not an ideal creature to encounter for arachnophobes, well-known for their venom and varied dens, living in web-dense trees, tunnels beneath the earth, and mountain cave systems. They are also the feature of many horror stories among the Colonial Charters
, but with the rise of Bone Horrors
, many Giant Spider populations close to the coastline have seen a drastic reduction as they suffer at the hands of these undead beasts.
It is rumored that the Asha
of the Dewamenet Empire
rode the backs of scorpions the size of mountains, terrible beasts that could breathe fire, pierce city walls with their stingers, and tear even the strongest of lines of soldiers asunder with their claws. The reality is far more mundane, but still a sight to scare most warriors. Giant Scorpions exist in various populations across the west of Aloria
, with one notable subspecies indeed domesticated by the Asha for riding. However, it does not dwarf any home or structure, and fortunately for the world, Giant Scorpions are uncommon in modern times.
Includes all snails, slugs, squids, and octopi.
The Grashobaig are a species of huge and deadly snails. They are slow and docile creatures with a powerful defence mechanism in the form of toxic excretions in their slime trail and in their spit. They are normally found along the southwestern coastlines and central regions of Daen
(roughly speaking made up of Hyarroc
), slowly moving forward in an endless quest for new food sources. The gastropod is extremely diverse, from their colour to the shape of their shell. It’s these shells as well as their poison that have driven the Grashobaig into rarity, and each product can be sold for a hefty price.
- Lurking in the shallows and deeper waters is the Octopus, a Small to Large creature with eight sucker-lined limbs.
- Octopi exist across the waters of Aloria, adapting to the range of waters they can thrive in. Among the most notable subspecies are the Tutu Octopus of the deep seas around the north of Aloria, the Squiggs Octovin of tropical Westwynd, the Giant Eastern Octo of the water around Jadeheart, and the Mime Octopus of the waters around Sileria.
- Octopi can be kept in captivity, but are unable to be domesticated. However, they are highly intelligent creatures, capable of escaping through various means, so anyone keeping one should be careful.
- The Octopus is incredibly common, spread across countless bodies of water in Aloria.
- Squid are, visually, Small to Large cousins of the Octopus, notable for a similar body form, but they instead have ten limbs, eight tentacles and two “arms”, as well as narrow, pointed heads.
- Squid have spread across Aloria, adapting to various depths and waters. The most notable of their subspecies are the Giant Squid of deep waters across Aloria, the Southern Reef Squid of Hadaria, as well as the Scarlet Squid and the Pale Squid of many oceans.
- Squid can only exist in the wild, their groups migrating and moving as one across the terrains they call home.
- Squid have a healthy population in Aloria, and are commonly found both by animals and the sentient Races.
- Small to Medium creature of the sea and grasses, Snails slowly plod along on slimy bodies, sheltering within an often beautiful shell to avoid dangers.
- Snails come in a range of different colors and appearances, and exist across dozens of regions. Among their number are the jagged-shelled Hadarian Snails, the Drovvan Shellkeeper of Northbelt, and the Osciird Snail of Altaleï.
- Snails can be kept in captivity, and domesticated in the sense that they can be kept, farmed, and made to reproduce in certain ways by those who tend to them.
- Snails have an enormous, healthy population.
Includes mythical, magical and unique creatures.
Ellon-Wings are unique creatures of the air which have mysterious origins. Some claim them to be creatures similar to the Aethershark
, sea creatures somehow elevated into the air. However, unlike those creatures, the Ellon-Wing appears charged with Magic
, and has been regarded as a marvel by many Mages
for its seeming natural use of such skills. Their numbers are thin following the Cataclysm
, but have started to emerge more and more as many magical events across Aloria
awaken lost secrets and mysteries of the past.
Aetherwhales capture the imagination of many an Alorian
today. These beautiful creatures of the sky with a majestically massive form are widely believed to have been driven to extinctinction through centuries of hunting, deaths, and finally irreversible world-altering events. The scholarly community is confident in this assessment but as long as tall tales from Ellador insist on their continued survival, then the hope of the Aetherwhale’s return remains alive.
The Aethershark is a predator that was once only a scourge upon the great Aetherwhales
of old, but now poses a far more general threat in the modern era despite their low numbers. While these creatures were thought to have died out around the birth of the Isldar
due to a sharp shift in their ecosystem, they survived thanks to the intercession of the Void
which took a number of them into its ranks when the Fifth Void Invasion
took place. Whilst the Aethersharks have been thought to be more legend than anything else, their recent appearance in the past century and a half, especially throught recent conflict in Ellador
, has led to the occasional sightings of packs of purple streaked creatures surrounding Airships
alike, often leading to a vicious end.
Elfaar are horse-sized constructs of plant matter with a deep tie to the Yanar
, only allowing that Race to ride and tame them. Their origins are recent, at a little over two hundred years, but are suspected to be a dilution of ancient creatures just like the Yanar themselves. With a high diversity in appearance and a mysterious process of creation or birth, the Elfaar are sometimes confused for creations of Mages
, ridden by Mages, but this is incorrect.
The Wyvern is a mysterious creature once thought endemic to Ellador
alone, but has been shown to be present in both The Far East
and The Far West
. These winged animals, ridden by the Isldar
, have proven dangerous in combat against wild animals and other sentient Races
who have tangled with the Isldar, while the Sihai make use of them for support in defense of the Jade Wall. Their uses beyond an elite mount among the Maquixtl is unknown. Given the recent conflict in Ellador, some Velheim
nations fear the day that great snowstorms will come bearing these creatures hiding inside them for more than just a scouting visit, while others worry of a time when the might of the distant Maquixtl turns toward Aloria
The Qarresh is one of the strangest “creatures” in Aloria
with many insisting that they are an advanced machine, or calling them one of the greatest products of Magic
known to exist. For the Slizzar
themselves, their sole keepers, they are simply companions, one of the few pieces of home a Slizzar may possess when out and about in the wider world. As the black cube is capable of disguising itself as other Mounts
, it can even aid the Slizzar who owns it by blending in, though it cannot replicate the full extent of their chosen disguises' abilities.
Unnatural, magical, and unknowably ancient, Constructs are the artificial de facto guardians of ancient sites across Aloria
, bound to the limits of the ruins that they have inhabited for many hundreds of years. Most lurk in the sites of lost civilizations, found most commonly in the remains of the Seraph
, but not unknown in the ruins of the Allorn Empire
and beyond; their appearances are in turn as varied as their creators, often shaped like no living being, unable to be communicated with, possessing only the knowledge to drive off perceived threats to themselves and their ruins. Some are only tales today, rendered extinct centuries ago, yet many more live on to threaten expeditions across Aloria.
Va'sil Trees emerged in the final days of the Allorn Empire
, who looked like trees and served as heralds of nature leading the Grul-Yanar
in a violent attack against the Altalar
. They soon fell due to the Night of the Weeping Stars
, but their impact has been felt for the past three centuries, given the mystery they have invoked. While the Emissaries of Estel
are considered extinct, rumors have existed for decades of Va’sil alive in the distant reaches of Ithania
, and for some, in the underground depths of the City of Regalia
The Neefaar are strange creatures with an unknown origin who were the first of Estel’s
plant-based heralds to arrive into the lands of the Allorn Empire
. But, they were ignored, and soon hated for what later messengers enacted, and some even fell into the arms of the Kathar
who warped them into corrupted reflections of their former selves. Following the Wildering
, the birth of the Yanar
, the Neefaar attached themselves to this plantlike Race
, while also remaining in servitude to the Kathar. Considered rare among the creatures of the world, the Neefaar are truly living relics, especially those purported to be from the era before the Cataclysm
, yet they are not time capsules of information so many likely would wish them to be. Instead, they are stoic, and some would say broken, remnants of a previous age.
The Vannhestia is a wondrous creature to behold and one viewed as an unobtainable mount of the sea itself. Fin'ullen
and others of the Allorn Empire
fruitlessly pursued them for centuries to no avail, though myths persist to this day of a rare few who have ridden on the backs of these strange steeds. A creature that initially appears as a strange, pastel horse on land, the Vannhestia can transform into possessing an aquatic tail when entering the water, allowing it to glide over the waves yet also gallop on the land. A creature of beauty to many groups, the Vannhestia has many mysteries likely impossible to crack.
Bone Horrors did not exist beyond the nightmares of the common folk until a year ago. While Undead do exist on Aloria
, they are rarely as fast or as murderous as stories make them out to be. However, following the Battle of Adelaar Cliffs, the Bone Horror Crisis
began. A worldwide event, it saw all rotting flesh and bones on several continents coalesce into creatures known as Bone Horrors. Filled with a mindless hatred for the living and even the Undead
, these creatures did considerable damage to multiple nations and their people. An unknown magical event rendered them killable while simultaneously, Qadir
mechanists crafted new weapons to defeat the monsters, turning the tide against them. Today, Bone Horrors still survive in pockets throughout the world, always on the move toward the living.
The Temple Orphan is the greatest horror which stalks Solangeria
and is responsible for the vast majority of deaths among explorers who dare to venture into its deep jungles. Temple Orphans are relatively rare, but seek to draw intruders to them with their mimicry, especially those who enter Solangeria’s mysterious ruins. Various mythical tales as to their origin exist among various peoples who have made contact with them and survived. Temple Orphans carry their name because, while passive, they emit a whine which sounds eerily similar to a crying baby. As soon as their prey comes close enough, the sound stops, their head turns, and death follows shortly. It should be noted the Temple Orphans do not actually hunt their prey for sustenance; these creatures have never been witnessed to consume any of their victims or indeed any food at all. It simply kills for the sake of killing.
Morvali are a very rare form of life after death, being the remnants of emotions and memories once belonging to whole people that now resort to staying alive by feeding off the memories of others, craving the love and affection they never had or were robbed of. Morvali comes to be when a person dies directly as a result of or related to circumstances around a scorned love affair or marriage. Morvali are denied the peace of death as the conflict between their emotions and memories causes their memories to be trapped by their agony and passionate emotions, condemned to drift. They leave their body behind but still manifest physically, hungering for the memories of love returned and passionate moments in others, seeking them out with subterfuge and feeding off them to sate their hunger and sustain their existence.
If there ever was a creature that deserved to die, it would be the Haurmann. Haurmann have no purpose in life other than to eat and annoy whomever they cross paths with. They resemble small walking eggs with horrific, almost balloon-like features on their faces, eyes that look like they could fall out of their sockets and crooked teeth that make one wonder how they can even consume anything. Haurmann are frequently the butt joke of comedy shows, and some particularly unentertaining bars or cafes have one behind the bar for cheap entertainment.
The Manathar were an Affliction
which emerged from the desire of a group of Kathar
to further their evolution as a Race
. The Pride Arken fulfilled their desire, but within just three years, took away the Affliction from the world. The three Legions, or strains of the Affliction, created rather demonic-looking individuals from any Race of Nelfin
background, including Half-Elves
, and capable of absorbing groups like Silven
into their ranks through the transformation. Ultimately, the footprint the Manathar left on Aloria is uncertain, as while some individuals used their power to aid in various expeditions and conflicts across Aloria, many more faded from memory, or left little lasting impact beyond their appearance.